Biggest Plot Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by frigocc, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

In anime I got tons of pet peeves, but one is so frustratingly consistent and tragically idiotic I simply can't stand it anymore. A basic reason to quit watching anime is this part:

The protagonist is reflecting outwardly, uncovering his deepest emotions through monologue, unliterally dissecting his soul or plan to everyone around (sometimes through a personal meltdown, other times while in a fight) and there always is an asshole friend of his listening to this, just staring in awe and simply saying "(name) kun". I hate this soooo much. "(Name) kun" what bitch? What does that suppose to mean? I mean, who does this? WHY?! STOP IT!!! In anime in general, for any given unreason, be it a kind gesture, a mal intended gesture, an emotional breakdown, whatever, there is usually an idiot (usually an annoyingly annoying love interest) that will do this cheesy gesture to add to nothing else other than the cheesiness itself, which I despise wholeheartedly. Close your mouth bitch, you're not fooling anyone.

Another pet peeve is characters like the protagonist in the 100's and her mother. I hope they both die soon. They ruin the whole series. Their character arks are so unreasonable and entitled, I really can't come to terms with them. They are simply unlikable. Maybe because they are not good actresses, idk, but I don't buy their bravery at all.

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

In what context? How would she use time travel to stop Voldemort?

And as Hermione points out, if someone saw themselves, they might think there was some kind of Dark Magic afoot and resort to violence. And she didn't "just forget" about her Time Turner - she dropped the clashing subjects, meaning she didn't need it any more. Since they're only allowed for students to help them go to clashing lessons, presumably that meant she had to give it back. In The Order of the Phoenix, they smash the Ministry's whole stock.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  3. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

Specifically because JKR realized how terrible time travel was as a plot device and removed it from the equation, as I heard it.

Cephus likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    So technically after the start of them using the Time Turner,
    the HP series is all a lie?
    So that would mean that HP still lives under the stairs.
    [​IMG]
    Well I suppose that would make sense, considering technically HP was not the 'only' chosen one.

5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Even before that. There's a theory that he's still locked under the stairs, driven completely insane by the Dursley's abuse.

ETA: Sorry, meant to say that even before the Time Turner it was all a delusion. There is no Hogwart's.

6. Cave Troll

upload_2019-3-8_20-26-45.jpeg

7. Reece

Reece Senior Member

I keep reading Time Turner as Tina Turner

8. EstherMayRose

I thought that might have been the case.

Although, in fairness to her, she didn't just have unlimited possibilities of time travel, of the sort that might have solved all their problems. They couldn't have just gone back and stopped Voldemort being born or anything.

9. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

A sane time travel fantasy should be self-limited by the principle that if you go back in time and eliminate your reason for going back in time, you won't have a reason to go back in time, so you won't.

That is, you wouldn't go back in time to stop someone who was never born from being born.
    Therefore, you can't go back in time with the intent of preventing someone from being born.
    However, you can go back in time and unintentionally prevent someone from being born, as long as your original reason for going back in time remains.

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  10. EstherMayRose

I know, I was just giving an example of something radical they could have done.

11. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Sorry, I should have made it clearer that I wasn't disagreeing with you.

EstherMayRose likes this.
  12. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Why couldn't they have?

13. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

Honestly maybe I'm dumb or just do not pay attention but most plot holes and such that people are talking about in here goes right over my head.
    However, nothing annoys me more in a plot than instalove/lust. Not that it can't happen in real life but it's just something I hate reading about.
    When Mary looks over at Tom and thinks he is the hottest thing she has seen since sliced bread and his perfectly bronzed body building muscles are flexing under then sun. And they have to mention it multiple times just to keep reminding you I just loose it.
    I'm otherwise pretty forgiving when it comes to these things because it's just fiction and entertainment. :rolleyes:

14. EstherMayRose

Well, as well as the paradox mentioned above, the Time Turner only takes you back an hour at a time - its intended purpose in a school setting is to take students back an hour so they can attend another lesson at the same time as the other one. Imagine trying to turn the Time Turner enough times to go back fifty years. More importantly, they have to take the slow route back to the present, so they'd be trapped in Voldemort's childhood.

15. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

They do say in the films about the prophecy spoke of a girl*, but for some reason Voldemort thought it was HP. Which again, I don't get. Between that and the horcrux mess, I'm starting to think he's a little bit dim.

ETA: * My mistake, a boy born at the end of July. Also, HP is born on July 31st, so he would fit the bill too. Ok, I'll let Voldemort off for that one, but not the horcrux thing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  16. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    The prophecy was speaking of the real hero?

flawed personality likes this.
  17. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

A boy born at the end of July...Neville Longbottom, I believe. July 30th. JK had said that he was originally going to be the hero, and she changed it to HP. Dunno why though. I far prefer Neville as a character to HP. Harry is too boring and nice, I think. Neville is interesting, and obviously capable of vengeance, as he threatens to kill Bellatrix Lestrange.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

In one pretty good theory, it was Neville Longbottom cause he pulls
    the sword of Gryffindor at the end. :p

flawed personality likes this.
  19. EstherMayRose

The thing was, it could have been either Harry or Neville. They were both born on the 31st July, to parents who had fought Voldemort three times. But Voldemort decided it was Harry who was going to kill him - he "marked him as his equal" because they were both half-blood.

JKR's a genius, I was so hooked!

Stormsong07 and Cave Troll like this.
  20. Cave Troll

:supergrin::superidea:
    [​IMG]

21. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

:superlaugh:Dont do this to me Cave Troll!

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

I disagree with this assertion. If there can only be self-consistent timelines, then yes, it is the case. However, that rule is not a requirement.

If you go back in time and eliminate the reason that you went back in time, then you've altered a/the timeline. Depending on the rules of the world, different things can happen. Here is a (probably) non-exhaustive list of outcomes of doing the aforementioned action.

1) Single timeline, single universe. The past you doesn't have a reason to go back in time, the past you is "you" and so "you" never went back in time, undoing your actions and causing a paradox.
    2) Alternate timelines are effectively alternate universes. No problem arises.
    3) There's only one universe, but the timeline can be altered. In this case, when the original you goes back in time, you effectively create a new entity (you) in the past. The "you" who didn't go back in time will have no reason to go back in time, but the original "you" still would have. Thus, the effects are permanent and there is no problem.

Personally, I find the 1st scenario to be the worst option. A universe that follows such rules either a) allows for paradoxes which break reality or b) has arbitrary rules in place that hardly seem natural (i.e. allowing people to go back in time but limiting what actions they can take there).

Cave Troll likes this.
  23. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Re: time travel and the effect of changing the past
    Except that in the actor's timeline, nothing changes at all, so why bother?
    Personally, I consider time travel to be pure fantasy in which logic has already been thrown out the window.

SolZephyr and John-Wayne like this.
  24. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

If the traveler's didn't know that when they set off they'd have no reason not to try.

More than fair enough.

XRD_author likes this.
  25. Cave Troll

When it comes to time, no matter which direction it moves it is always forward to the
    person experiencing it. So it would be linear to the traveler regardless of jumping
    forward or backwards. There is not third option in this scenario. :)

John-Wayne likes this.