1. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

Bio?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by EmmVeePi, Feb 18, 2009.

(Not sure if this is exactly the right place for this but if not I am sure the officers will do their duty)
    Lets say, hypothetically of course, that a certain author was working on creating their website and wanted to put a bio up. Now this bio would not be a full 300 page bio(lol) but just a few paragraphs. Is there a format for this? Which info would be relevant? Personal life or just writing career? I suppose this is a lot of opinion/preference but wanted to get some input.

2. MugenMonster

MugenMonster New Member

well i would put a bit about myself as a person, not a writer and then maybe a bit on how i became one....
    thats about all the input i'm good for :p

3. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Maybe you could think of the sorts of questions you'd ask your favourite writers, then apply them to yourself. I'd suggest keeping it strictly relevant to the purpose of the site, though - there's not much point in talking about where you went to school or your favourite colour etc. if it's not what your site is about.

Some examples to ask/answer: what you want to achieve with the site and why you created it, where/when/how you came up with the ideas - things that will retain interest in being on the site and inspire further investigation, so pretty much anything about yourself conducive to getting people interested enough to click on other areas...

4. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

Also, once again a matter of opinion I suppose, should it be written in first or third person?

5. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Active Member

Either way works but I would be more attracted to a first person POV. A third person point of view just seems weird if your writing your own Bio. It probably would come more naturally with first person.

6. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't know about a personal website, but bios for magazines and such usually require third person. Maybe it's because third person seems more professional while first person seems more personal.

7. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I think that if it is evident that you are the sole webmaster of the site (i.e. the only contributor of content) I would recommended first person. Particularly if the nature of the site is more personal, as the only reason I would then see for personal information to be presented in third person is if they are testimonials written by someone else.

If, on the other hand, there are multiple contributors of content, and/or there is a lot of third-party content, I would think it's more reasonable to have a 'staff' section written from third person perspective.

I suppose it really comes down to how you wish to present your site as a whole - a third person bio would suggest (to me, at least) that you wouldn't have a great deal to do with the site - that it was about you, not for or by you. First person would suggest much more personal involvement and interaction. I suppose something to do to get a clearer idea of what you're aiming for, is to look up web sites with a similar function to what yours will be performing.

Of course, you could always go for a blend - get someone to interview you. That way some information will be presented in third person, and the things you really want to say or have highlighted, will be in first person.

8. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

I'd focus mainly upon your writing career (how long you've been writing for, a list of published works, ect) but also include a little bit about your personal life (homestate, hobbies aside from writing, ect). In my opinion, third person would serve better for a professional bio.

9. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Question who is this "mysterious author," is it someone we would know. Just make an about post and leave it sticky at the top of your page. I believe that would work great. Write it in first person and let us know a little about you.

Check out my second blog it is pretty cool and may give you ideas.

10. EmmVeePi

EmmVeePi New Member

One more question. The first sentence? I can figure out the whole rest the bio but have no idea how to open up from the 1st person perspective.

"Hi My Name Is"

/\ /\
    Something like that? I dont know