1. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

black friday

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by erebh, Nov 29, 2013.

anybody get any real bargains? We went to WalMart, target and bestbuy - horribly disappointed. I felt sorry for the poor saps wrapped in blankets between the temporary barriers in the car parks.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Black Friday has become a toned down version of The Purge. I don't leave the house until Monday. Seriously.

GoldenGhost and TessaT like this.
  3. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

who leaves the house on cyber Monday? :)

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

We got a couple good online deals -- amazon has a deal now where you can get 30% off one book if you use the code BOOKDEAL but you can only use it once, on one book, with a $10 maximum savings. Still, it's an additional 30% off amazon's already reduced price, so I was pretty pleased. We also got a couple other things from amazon - a printer and a couple video games.

But we didn't go out shopping anywhere that had a Black Friday sale. It's just not worth it -- there wasn't anything we really needed or even wanted that was on any sort of big sale. We did, however, go out and get our holiday gift for my husband and me -- a new recliner. The furniture store was not particularly crowded.

5. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

what was the deal Liz? A huge bargain? Are you stoked? We didn't need anything but was hoping to see something irrestistable as normally I can't pass a red sticker. I once bought a €99 baseball bat for €9.99, I think it's still in the bag from about a year ago!

6. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

I saved huge by not buying anything. I went to the library and picked up a copy of Blindness. I'll sit back for a read and some homemade soup, and then perhaps darn my socks.

7. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

You know how to darn socks? I had soup, but it wasn't homemade.

My dad bought some stuff, but I didn't even bother going.

8. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

My husband wanted a new wireless printer, and the one he wanted was about $120. Amazon had the one he wanted for like $65. So he's pretty happy, and I'm happy we saved that money -- this was probably a somewhat unusual black Friday snag, because it was an item we were planning on buying anyway -- the particular item my husband had decided he wanted, and I was going to get it for him as his gift. In this case, we really did save the money.

I did, though, buy an extra video game for my kids that I wasn't planning on buying. The Rayman Legends had been in the $50-$60 range, and it went down to $24.99. I ended up buying it, even though I wasn't originally going to. (I guess that savings on the printer went right back to amazon after all.)

9. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

I got a pretty good deal at Teavana online for some tea. They had free shipping, free gift, plus 50% off the tea I wanted so... they twisted my arm, they did. $10 for 2 new teas, 1 tea tin, a free tin and free tea, and shipping?? I'm totally in.

And well, now that someone mentioned Amazon, I'm checking out all the books that I've been wanting. That was... a bad/fabulous idea.

10. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

No Black Friday for me. Why? Because I'm poor and hate standing in lines (mostly the former).

The Amazon deal sounds very tempting, though. I may end up buying a book.

11. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I love Teavana. I get samples, but I never buy anything. My bffitww went in there on halloween and this guy tried to sell us stuff for a good 10 minutes, all the while we were telling him that we had no money.

TessaT likes this.
  12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The only real deals at brick and mortars are a few limited number of loss leaders to get people in the door. Everything else is a planned ahead fake discount. I heard a discussion today that discounts get bigger and bigger and profits stay the same. In other words, the sales are fake.

And I think most people know that, or at least a lot of them do. Yet when JC Penny's announced they would stop using fake 'real prices' that are then dishonestly marked down, the sheeple quit buying. Penny's had to go back to fake sales.

You can get bargains on the clothing closeout racks of most department stores, but it takes time to look for things you like that also fit.

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yup. :) This is a lesson I had to teach William upon our meeting. He was a strike-point shopper. Had to show him that you shop a boutique store back to front. ;)

14. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I just buy most of my clothes from Sears or on gift cards my mom gets. (She's a teacher's aide) I have some stuff from Macy's, but really, we once went shopping at Sears and left with 6 pieces of clothes under $30. One shirt I wore for 4 years, we bought for $3.

erebh likes this.
  15. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

If I could buy some luxuries, I would check out newegg and buy myself a new monitor.
    Mine is.. melting from the inside.

16. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Well, I couldn't help myself. I spent a little more than $40 on books on Amazon. Bought This Is How You Lose Her by Junot Diaz, The Pale King by David Foster Wallace, Speak, Memory by Vladamir Nabokov, and Hyperspace by Michio Kaku. :D

chicagoliz likes this.