1. thebrownwoman

thebrownwoman New Member

Boo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thebrownwoman, Jan 14, 2009.

Figured I'd be generic and leave a post here anyway.

My name's Ash, or fondly referred to as The Brown Woman for many reasons. I write to express opinions and reflections based on daily experience and interaction with people. I used to be in forums before this but it's been a good 5 years before I've come back into this again. I'm a medstudent, as such my writing time is limited but the occasional poem does make it's mark now and then.

I write anything, from fantasy to thrillers and sometimes, pretty morbid stories =D Poetry is at abundance and I've published about two short stories before, but that's really about it. And they're not very good either.

I hope to get some good crit on my writings here as well as read some pretty good stuff and -how's this for a cliche?- make some new friends here.

*cue soap drama music*

2. Ventriloquist

Ventriloquist New Member

Oh god... There is music... Something bad is going to happen!!

Anyway, hey Ash, I'm new here too, and you got to my thread first, but oh well :p

I'd like to hear some of your poems some time, or anything, and you sound interesting and also you seem like a nice person :D

Look forward to talking and seeing you on here in the future.

3. thebrownwoman

thebrownwoman New Member

Heh, it's remarkable how fast I can be when the internet here doesn't get wonky -_-

At any rate, yeah, this site has this thing about reviewing a few pieces before being able to post up your own work? Which I think is a pretty good idea just that I haven't gotten down to it just yet :p I was thinking about putting up a short story first. Well, it's about 10 pages on word but it's all dialogue, so it's not really all that intense.

Music's awesome. I often imagine that I have my own personal soundtrack and that it goes on as I go about doing stuff. Currently, it's 'She's So Lovely' by Scouting for Girls. Ah yes. 'Modesty' is me :p

Have you posted up anything yet? Maybe I could review YOUR work =D

4. Ventriloquist

Ventriloquist New Member

Not quite yet, I'm starting a new project tomorrow, but I won't post the prologue because that explains the world and what's happening and what not, and gives away too much of my own personal story idea which I'm not comfortable with, but I will give the first chapter which shouldn't be too detailed :D!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Ash, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]