1. Sylvia Rosemond

Sylvia Rosemond New Member

Book Recommendation

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sylvia Rosemond, Oct 19, 2015.

Greetings All, hopefully someone can help me in my search.

I'm a HUGE spy fan, however, I want to give that a break and try something new.

I've come up with some criteria, and hopefully your recommendations can meet them.

If You Select Sci-fi or Fantasy, the book must be a series.

Choose one of the categories and then recommend a book.

If you recommend:

Fantasy: I don't want the generic medieval/Tolkien rip-off. No Elves, Dwarves or Castles. I want something original, and more mature orientated. No YA, and no fantasy set in modern day.

Science-fiction: No military SF. I get enough of the bad-ass solider kicking ass from BSG, Stargate/Trek etc. I've tried to read The Lost Fleet but just couldn't bring myself to finish it. It's nothing against the author but the main character type is repetitive . No time travel either. I'm leaning toward space opera, and I know it's hard to find SO that isn't also military.

Thriller: I'm looking for the average person caught in a conspiracy type thriller. Right now, I'm eyeing The Girl on the Train, and seriously considering the purchase. Any other of those types of novels is great.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Try the Xanth Series and Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony.

Maybe you need to shake things up and try some Erotica or something.
    Ya know breakout into something new. :p

3. Jair

Jair New Member

Well as far as Fantasy goes I recently Read Throne of Glass which was fairly good. There are five books to the series. The story centers around an assasin and it develops pretty well I guess. It's pace is a bit slow considering the overall general plot will develop throughout the series, but it was pretty good. You could also try the Red Queen books? I haven't read them myself but I am interested in them so I'll share that bit.

For Sci-Fi I can't say much and I know you said no military but you should really consider Star Wars: Lost Stars, if you like Star Wars. I feel a bit embarrassed to say it lol but it is one of my favorite novels. It's amazing. Look that up, trust me.

Thriller I guess I can tell you to try some Edgar Allan Poe and/or Arthur Conan Doyle. I do realize maybe it isn't what you're looking for but Mystery is a nice choice. But anyway, try monster classics like Bram Stoker's Dracula or Frankenstein's monster.

Hope I could help :)

-Jair