Book cover change suggestion for urban fantasy

Discussion in 'Cover Design' started by DaiFesXII, May 10, 2021.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

This is possibly one of the commonest errors people make with covers... ive lost count of the number of times we've had the discussion here, and on the FB group i'm a moderator for... in essence it is more important to fit in than stand out... because people have a certain expectaton for a certain genre... and they perceive that books that look like the covers by their favourite authors will be like the books by their favourite authors.

trying to be unique, quirky, or different is therefore a very risk strategy which only works very occasionally (one day being an example where it did work... and then became a trope in its own right) however the chances of it being you (or any of us) who have the next break out cover are very very slim... there's a far higher chance of people looking at the anime and thinking ... pah thats not urban fantasy... and not even clicking on your book

there is a good webinar here with pro cover designer Stuart Bache who goes into a lot more detail about familiarity theory https://selfpublishingformula.com/cover-design-webinar-video/

marshipan likes this.
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Just looking at those two covers in the OP I'd be unlikely to look further. Not because anime isn't my thing, but because the title, Legacy of Darkness, makes no sense with the bright pastels and happy girls. The illustrations on the covers match something like, oh, Glitter Girls Adventure: Undercover Mistress. It probably wouldn't be of interest to me, but I wouldn't have a feeling of confusion. "Legacy of Darkness" needs anime characters that look more like this (pulled by a quick google, no copyright or permission etc)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's nothing wrong with using anime-style art for your cover if that's your target market, but I find the covers and title you've shown us confusing and unlikely to draw readers in.

3. DaiFesXII

DaiFesXII Member

"Glitter Girls?"

That sounds too happy and cheerful. Also kiddie like.

Apparently based on the example pictures that the cover needs to have a more serious tone.

But thank you. You're the first to point out when no one else did.

4. DaiFesXII

DaiFesXII Member

I was so caught up that I forgot to ask the obvious question:

What IS then the genre appropriate cover?

Logically, having a city at night as the background with magic should be urban fantasy as seen on so many covers. That's what I get from various sources on book design. But what's interesting is that none of them will tell you the type of character that should be on the covers. Typically it's a Buffy the Vampire Slayer wannabe model on a stock photo.

5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The type of character will be driven by the story and its tone.

A story called "Legacy of Darkness" does not suggest cheery anime girls. If it suggests anime girls at all, then it's the gothic-type characters that Iain posted.

"Legacy of Darkness" does not suggest this:
    [​IMG]

It DOES suggest this:
    [​IMG]

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  6. DaiFesXII

DaiFesXII Member

I choose the title based on the main character's connection to her ancestors. But I never expected the covers to reflect something completely different. The way shown in the first example pic suggests that it's made for little girls above 10 but under 13 (I know two of them in the picture.)

Seems I'm gonna have to pivot.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

look at your competition... what are the common themes in their covers ? The major issue here is not that it doesnt reflect the title so much as it that it doesnt reflect the genre... if you search amazon for YA urban fantasy you won't find many covers with cheerful anime

8. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'd argue that if a Buffy the Vampire Slayer wannabe is what tends to be on these types of books, that's what should be on them, since that's what readers will expect.

Just look at the covers of Romance novels. Unless you are a well known author or have a publisher really push your book, you should go with what readers are used to.

marshipan likes this.