1. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Book Reading within a Book.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by John-Wayne, Mar 6, 2018.

Hey Everyone, so i'm at an odd part in my book here, Kristol of Ancea.

The chapters I am currently working on, act as a sort of winding down of Part One and a bit of exposition on motives and a bit of background on one character in particular... Bryndolis.

However, my concern is the exposition given about Bryndolis is in a book that Kristol reads, so I think you can tell what my problem is, I am keeping it to a single scene and keeping it short and to the point.

A. Is it even a good idea to have a character read from a book (I'm going to keep it as short as possible) or is there a better way to handle this.

B. How to keep it interesting, since at this point we are learning about a Character, who does get more character development as we go.

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I haven't been following your story, so I can't speak to specifics, but I've read books that had characters reading within them being used to good effect. The examples that spring to mind, however, are either short, where a medium-sized paragraph or so is shown directly, or where the text itself isn't shown, just the character's reaction to it. To dash off an impromptu example:

That's absolute crap, but you get the idea. Hope this helps.

John-Wayne likes this.
  3. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

That was one thin
    Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I thought of having Kristol read it to her Maidens and have them respond or even herself. The book is written by her ancestor who basically interviewed Bryndolis (in a sort) though it quickly goes into how he use the creature to acheive his goals. There is some humor in it as he boasts about his own cooking skills. But again I need to be careful, right now it's a rough, but later on I may lessen it and leave out the Ancestor going into how he used Bryndolis.

Though I don't care much for keeping the mystery of Bryndolis, I do like the idea of Kristol responding to it with grunts, and in amusement. Then responding according ling to what she read.

Iain Aschendale likes this.