1. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Books that Make You Cry

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by NateSean, Apr 5, 2011.

And I don't mean once they made you cry. I mean, every single time you read it, or think about a passage in the book, it brings tears to your eyes against your will.

For me, the books that do this the most are the Dark-Hunter novels by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

In Night Play, Bride is this rubenesque woman who gets dumped by her dirtbag of a boyfriend via a letter he charges to her FedEx account. This is in the first few pages alone and I cry for her every single time.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Jane Eyre, Little Women, Heidi, Tess of the D'Ubervilles (although only ever read it once), L-Shaped Room,

For very different reasons Gervaise Phinn his Dales Series- i was laughing so hard and pregnant blinking nightmare to read Heart of the Dales ow my ribs hurt. It is the only one I hadn't done by audiobook and I won't be reading his print versions again - audio all the way in future. I spent most of it unable to read.

3. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Books that immediately come to mind are Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne... well, there are obviously more but I can't remember them. :p

4. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You totally beat me to it! I read it for the first time at school in 4th grade and I burst into tears at the end, and every time (or almost every time) I read it, I cry.

6. Dial

Dial New Member

I felt really sad at points in "War and Peace". However, recently though I read a visual novel thing -- well I'm not too certain what it was but it was like a visual novel and I don't know if it counts as a book (It has lots of words!) --, "Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story" had a moment that made me really really unhappy.

7. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Wings by Aprilynne Pike. Does this teen romance count??

8. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Graphic Novels count. It's not like they're first grade Dick and Jane books so I say it works. (Though frankly, seeing Jane run brings a tear to my eye.)

Some scenes in the Zatch Bell and Tenchi Muyo manga for example really make me emotional.

9. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Mannen som Elsket Yngve (The man who loved Yngve) by Norwegian author Tore Renberg. It's about a 17 year old boy who suddenly falls in love with a new guy (Yngve) at his school (though it's Yngve's story that really makes me cry).

And Blankets by Craig Thompson, a graphic novel. Beautiful story and beautiful art.

10. Fang990

Fang990 New Member

I got beaten to it, Where the red fern grows made me ball like a baby.

11. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

The Tale of Despereaux. I was nine, don't judge me XD. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was pretty depressing.

12. Silver_Dragon

Silver_Dragon New Member

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

13. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Baldur's Gate, the novelization of the game. I can't unread it.

Seriously, it's that bad. :(

What makes me cry about it is there are lots of lesser known authors that write way better than Philip Athans, but since he works at Wizards of the Coast and is an editor, apparently he is entitled to getting his crappy books published.

14. Anglewitch

Anglewitch New Member

A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer.

Just...dear god.

15. bob smith

bob smith New Member

Earth Abides. I do not cry when relationships are broken, or loved ones die in stories (except for dog's dying, and only sometimes).

In Earth Abides, a man concerned with nothing but the whole of humanity and its future must grow old, must watch it slip away as the legacy of man's triumphs pas into dust. He was forced to watch as the new dawn of man began. The books, stories, music, science, knowledge; everything of real value in the old world, so tirelessly developed and stored, disappeared as easily as clouds in the sky. He was a man who wished for that knowledge; knowledge he really cared for deeply and spiritually, wished for it to be lasting and even immortal. His wish was not granted.

Suppperrr depressing book, but my favorite of all time.

16. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

I just admitted to crying about a fictional romance. Who has the right to judge anyone? :p

17. abbigailrosewood

abbigailrosewood New Member

"We need to talk about Kevin" made me cry a river toward the end but honestly I had to toil through the book. It definitely tests your patience.

18. thalorin19

thalorin19 Member

Where the Red Ferns Grows might be one of the few books that really made me cry.

I've teared up in others though, such as Catcher in the Rye and one particular scene in A Storm of Swords - though that was more hysterical then sad.

I don't put out to much emotions when I read books, but when I watch movies, or play a good videogame, I'll let out emotion. Don't know why.

19. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Oh my god, dude, this. A friend lent it to me in high school, and I started reading it in my last class. I started bawling in the middle of class.....

20. Finhorn

Finhorn New Member

I'm a little concerned that I can't come up with one written in the last 10 years. I'll perhaps read some of the others on this list. Here's 5 of my favorites that I'm not sure how we're missed:

YA

Freak the Mighty (1993) by Rodman Philbrick, It's about two handicapped boys who combine to become one whole person.
    Old Yeller (1956) by Fred Gipson, The Disney movie only starts to do it justice.
    Bridge to Terabithia (1977) by Katherine Paterson, pretend the movie never happened and read the book.

Fiction

Of Mice and Men (1937) by John Steinbeck, an amazing novella. Don't be put off because it's on so many required reading lists.
    The Phantom of the Opera (1909) by Gaston Leroux, Kind of slow. The novel never sold well because of it, but the story is good and the ending is heartbreaking.

21. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt - Especially the part where the twins die. That whole part was so heartbreaking and just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Especially when the first twin dies, the second twin doesn't understand what's going on and he keeps calling for his brother (they're like 3 years old) ... and in the end, even though it is the "sickness" that got both of them, it is also presumed that the second twin really died because of a broken heart. And the fact that its based on a true story. :(

22. lemonyellowsun

lemonyellowsun New Member

Agreed. That book is so awfully heartbreaking.

23. Cerrus

Cerrus New Member

I had to read this book for school a long time ago. It was called "The Giver". I didn't necessarily cry, but it was sad for me at least. Anyone else read that book?

24. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

I've never actually cried while reading a book, but I can think of two instances where, after finishing the series, I was depressed and contemplative for about a month.

Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. So powerful and moving.

The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. The end was utterly heartwrenching. My favourite book of all time.

25. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt- My lord if one more child died I was going to do something drastic!