British Writer - American Setting?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Ross O'Keefe, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

This. The differences in culture from state to state in the US can be every bit as different as they are from country to country in Europe.

I think any writer can have any setting, if the research is there and, if it's contemporary, you include Betas from that area. I had a journalism professor who said "It's 'write what you know,' not 'write what you already know.'" Wise man.

I would recommend, to save yourself some headaches, that the narrator be a transplant to America, rather than be an American. There's a formality that often still comes through in the British version of a casual voice, and the flow of the British voice tends to be more clipped and precise than our languid American style. I don't mean one or the other is bad or good; I'm just saying it can be a giveaway. I accidentally outed an American acquaintance who used an English ghost writer for her memoir by blurting out "Is your editor based in London?" Oops. :eek: