1. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

...But Is It Good?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Crazy Ivan, Jan 1, 2008.

Well, this place is a giant forum of writers. So we can (almost) safely assume that a few of us are going to be well-read, right?
    So let's say you've got a book that you're thinking of reading, but you're not sure if it's worth buying/devoting time to. Is it really great? Or could it be overrated? Maybe it's the most wonderful book ever, or just not worth it.
    Here's where you can ask!
    Seeing as our membership spans across several continents, thousands of different viewpoints, and even multiple generations, there should be a wide amount of books read between us. So if someone asks about a book and you've read it, feel free to offer your opinion.

I'll start as an example: I'm interested in the book The Commitments, by Roddy Doyle. I've read some of his other stuff and thought it was positively the best of its kind, ever. I've heard that The Commitments is pretty popular in the UK, even getting made into a successful movie. What I'm looking for is an involving book with a focus on music, and maybe some dark humor. And, of course, a plain good book. Would anyone know this book well enough to offer an opinion?

2. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Sorry, but i have no idea.

And i wanted to know: How is THE GOLDEN COMPASS? Good? Bad? or Excellent? I was thinking of reading it.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Well, it depends on your definition of 'good.' If by 'good' you mean 'one of the most jaw-droppingly, amazingly, fantastically, sweeping epics I will ever read,' than, yeah, that about sums it up. (Now, see, I could have just chosen the 'excellent' option you provided for me, but what would be the fun in that?)
    So yeah, The Golden Compass and its two following novels (If you weren't aware, it's a trilogy) are really an amazing example of what happens in literature when everything is done right. It's transcendent of age limits- great for kids, wonderful for adults. To fully enjoy the novel, you have to kind of ignore the fact that by the end, it's all become a very thinly-veiled attack on the Catholic church- but the amazing thing is, the books are still great despite the preaching.
    So yeah.
    They're good.

4. Robin0999

Robin0999 New Member

Hello, Ivan, it seems we meet again.
    Anyway, to be on topic, I've been wondering about the Dirk Gently series by Douglas Adams, particularly Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

5. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Hm, no accounting for taste I suppose...I tried reading 'The Golden Compass' way back in junior high when a friend recommended it. I was bored to death and just checked out the three books from the library just to read their endings.

Dirk Gently's Detective Agency I'm in the middle of reading right now and I've found it very good so far.

6. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I read both Dirk Gently books in fifth grade...they were both surrounded by the pure gold aura of hilariosity (IT IS A WORD RARR) that comes attached to all Douglas Adams' work. Great stuff. (Judging by the fact that I understood all the "Ancient Mariner" references in fifth grade, I wasn't a normal child. Too late to change that...thankfully.)

7. Robin0999

Robin0999 New Member

Cool, I was worried. My uncle said once I read the Hitchhikers Guide series I wouldn't be that impressed.

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I don't agree with you Ivan the Golden Compass was a bad book. It was boring and it didn't suit my fancy.

I was thinking of reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
    Does anyone think is a good book?

9. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

If you found The Golden Compass bad, then you would despise Wicked with every fibre of your soul and curse the notion that led you to read it.
    Trust me on this one.
    That's not to say that I didn't like it. It was pretty bizarre, but oddly compelling to read.
    But you'd hate it. If you're planning to read it because of the musical, just give up on that right now.

10. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Ha!
    I tricked you.
    I've read Wicked all ready and I liked Wicked. I bought Son of a Witch as well and read that one.
    Though the Golden Compass was awful.
    Didn't like that one.

11. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

...?

Believe me, my eyebrows over here are raised. And not in a "aha, I have been tricked" way. More in a "...why the heck..." kind of way.
    Dude. Seriously. What.

Eh, more on topic: Anyone read Water for Elephants?

12. Eóin

Eóin New Member

The Commitments is a pretty good book, quite funny. It's not the best work of fiction ever, but it's a good laugh.

Surely, the Golden Compass is only the name of the movie? The book is called the Northern Lights. Or did they change the name of the book as well in America?

13. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

They changed it to The Golden Compass for America- but left the other two titles the same.

14. howowiginal

howowiginal New Member

I've aways wondered why they do that...

I've also wondered why The Secret is so popular. It sounds like a glorified self-help book. Can anyone explain what's so special about it?

15. CLangsley88

CLangsley88 New Member

I had to read Nancy Farmer's The House of the Scorpion for summer reading, and absolutely loved it with a passion. Farmer also wrote The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm, which I found less appealing. Does anyone have any recommendations similar to [Scorpion]/i]?

16. silverbells&&cockleshells

silverbells&&cockleshells New Member

Best. Book. Ever.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!