1. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

WorldsStrongestPolyglot Member

Buying a ranch in Utah

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WorldsStrongestPolyglot, Jul 10, 2022.

I love the state - I think it’s beautiful and would love to own property out there one day. 5000-10000 acres with a cedar log home. However, I have never been to Utah. Though I have been to New Mexico, that state is stunning as well and has a unique history.

Does anyone here live in Utah? If so, how’s the weather during the summer? Further, do you hunt Elk?

I would want a place where I could enjoy leisure time, hunt and search for artifacts.

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

10,000 acres in Utah with a cabin? Bring money.

3. Kstaraga

Kstaraga Active Member

I've only been to Utah once for a short time, but I do know that depending where you are in Utah, it can get pretty hot in the summer and cold in the winter. You could be facing temperatures well over 100 in the hot, dry desert in southern Utah.

(I loved seeing Bryce Canyon when I was last there).

There's definitely elk hunting out there in some areas, just gotta make sure you have the right tags, dates, locations, and weapons for it like with any state I'd imagine.

I'm sure it'd be nice to be able to own 5,000 - 10,000 acres! Can't imagine the space. I can barely afford a fraction of an acre right now :superlaugh:

4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

That many acres you'd probably need twenty million dollars. Not anywhere near a city either. Somewhere near a legitimate population center would be more close to a hundred million dollar ranch.

I'm all for building vast sums of money...but...well, good luck.

5. WorldsStrongestPolyglot

WorldsStrongestPolyglot Member

I wonder whatever happened to Bill Paxton’s ranch out there?

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm guessing it went to his estate and then to whomever inherited it.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

looking on google a ranch like that in utah without a cabin is about 5 mil...

8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Sale sites show around 20mil. Prices are up a lot.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

it looks like theres some variation https://www.landwatch.com/utah-land-for-sale/farms-ranches but its all out of reach of the normal mortal - if it was me i'd look to buy a much smaller property...what does anyone really need 10k acres for anyway unless you're going to farm or crop lumber

there's one there that gives 40 acres for circa 120k.. with power... buy that, build a cabin on it, 40 acres is enough that people arent going to both you

10. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Power is the least of the problems. Water is the problem. Thar ain't none to be had, basically.

I often look at Youtube videos by a guy who operates a towing company in Utah. One of his specialties is rescuing vehicles that get stuck where ordinary tow trucks can't reach. A number of recent videos have shown recoveries in the middle of what used to be Lake Powell. The recoveries were in the part of the lake in Utah, near Lone Rock. The Google Maps satellite photos show Lone Rock in the middle of a finger of the lake. No more -- you can now walk out to it, or drive if you have a properly equipped off-road vehicle.

Drilling a well is a gamble. Figure on going 500 feet as a minimum, but you could easily do 1,000 feet and still not hit water.

11. Catriona Grace

People from wetter parts of the country truly do not grok the water situation in the intermountain west. At least a few times a year, someone comes into the museum and proudly announces they are honoring Wyoming with their presence and intend to "homestead" some piece of property out in the middle of the sagebrush. When asked what kind of water rights the property has, they tend to look at me blankly or brush the question off with some version of, "We'll drill a well." Even if one drills a well and hits water, the water is as often as not undrinkable due to minerals found therein. Selenium and nitrates, for example, aren't good for you. Upon being asked about water rights on the land he proposed to "homestead," one uniformed person from back east told me a stream ran along one edge of the property and he was sure he could get permission to use water from it for home and cattle. I don't think he believed me when I told him people still get into fistfights and worse over water rights in the west.

Homer Potvin and EFMingo like this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Meanwhile in Rhode Island, Homer has all 24 in-ground sprinkler heads running while his wife takes a shower and the dishwasher runs.

13. Catriona Grace

Perfect! I'll suggest all those rancher wannabes go to Rhode Island to homestead!

EFMingo likes this.
  14. Homer Potvin

Yeah! There's a tenth of an acre lot available right across the street from me. [Blinks] Wait, someone just bought it and framed a house.

15. SapereAude

But is it a log cabin?

16. Homer Potvin

Hell no. Log supply chain issues.

EFMingo likes this.
  17. Homer Potvin

Funny story: there was a small lot available around the corner from my house. The guy next store bought it and build a crazy skinny 3 story house maybe 2 years ago. They appeared to finish almost everything over a year ago and then nada. No activity since then. Turns out they built the kitchen on the wrong floor, violating some kind of code. So much for measure twice, cut once.

18. SapereAude

Where was the building inspector, and what about the plans? I used to know the state building inspector in your state (two of them, in fact, in succession). I know y'all have a building code.

19. Catriona Grace

Which floor was the kitchen supposed to be on, and where did they locate it instead?

20. Homer Potvin

I believe it was on the first floor, but because the foundation wasn't deep enough, it needs to be moved to the second floor. Bear in mind, I heard all of this from my neighbor, who may or may not know the full story, but he knows EVERYTHING that happens in the neighborhood, so I get all the gossip from him. He might be bullshitting, but the house definitely got slapped with a no-build for something.

No idea. I know nothing about building codes. But I know Providence, and I know anything can get done if you make the right people happy, and anything can be undone if you piss the wrong people off. It's not the wild west anymore, like when the Patriaca Family ran half the East Coast and Buddy Cianci was the most corrupt mayor in Christendom, but we still have to grease the right palms to get business done, though the grease is a fairly gentrified now. That's probably not what happened here, but I'm a romantic at heart.

21. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Chicago must not be in Christendom...

<checks>

Nope, not even in the same state :)

22. Catriona Grace

Building is not my area of expertise, but that doesn't make sense. The foundation supports the entire building and moving the kitchen up a floor wouldn't change the load distribution or amount, would it?

23. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

It may have something to do with leakage through the pipes but I don't see how putting it on the second floor would make much of a difference as the pipes are still going to go to the same place, but maybe on the second floor certain accidents would be more likely to stay on the house footprint?

24. SapereAude

Aha. Is the site near the shore, or near a river? Several years ago (10? 20?) building codes began requiring that all livable facilities in a residence be 1 foot above the highest predicted (prescribed) flood level in coastal and flood plain zones. Anything below that has to have open structure (piles) or break-away walls so that in the event of flooding the water can just flow though and not destroy the living portions of the residence. The lower levels can be used for storage, garage, etc, but all the critical stuff (like a kitchen) needs to be above the flood level (as determined in FEMA maps).

If the plans showed the kitchen on the first floor, whoever reviewed the plans and issued the building permit didn't do their job. People often complain that the building department in the town where I work is too strict, but IMHO it's a lot easier to move lines on a piece of paper than it is to rip out walls after they've been built and change everything after the fact.

25. Homer Potvin

I don't think so, unless there's something special about that particular lot. But most of the other houses in the neighborhood are circa 1930, so maybe they were grandfathered.

I think my neighbor who told me the story probably has it wrong. Or maybe I misheard him. I'll have to check again because the curiosity is killing me. I've been staring at this house for a year wondering how an easy $400K sell can just sit there unfinished. No matter what they have to reinvest, it'll sell in 3 hours.

Catriona Grace likes this.