1. AmeliahFrankie

AmeliahFrankie New Member

By Any Other Name...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by AmeliahFrankie, Mar 9, 2009.

I want to do some modern rewrites of Greek Myths (I've been studying them alongside my literature course and think they're great) and I have what I think are some pretty good ideas, but I'm having trouble with character names.

For example, I have an idea for a modern rewrite of the myth about 'Icarus' but I figure I can't really use that name in a 21st century context? I'm not sure, but I do want to use something similar. I would really appreciate some help/ideas for possible names?
    Or even if someone could convince me that using the beautiful Greek names (Eurydice is one of my favourites) would be possible in 2009 :)

Thank You :)

(Sorry for the crappy title to this post, I really had nothing else)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

anything is 'possible'... you are the writer and can choose whatever names you want... whether the result will be readable and enjoyed by today's readers is the question...

a good writer can make anything work...

3. joe

joe New Member

I agree with mammamaia that you can pretty much do what you want. I definitely think a name like Eurydice would work. I'd argue that the description of the characters themselves, and how vivid you make them, is more important.

Remember the movie Napoleon Dynamite? What a weird name, but the character was so colorful that most filmgoers didn't care and just went with it.

Also, if you're reworking a Greek myth (or any other pre-established story), keep in mind that your imagination might start churning out ideas for other stories you might want to write in the future.

Good luck!
    :)

4. Natalia

Natalia New Member

I feel that you can use any name you want as it is your story.I remember they made a remake of Shakespeares Othello and called it 'O'.That could be a possible avenue to explore, giving the characters Greek names but they are known to thier family as their real name but to everyone else as a nick name.If you want to use Greek names I do believe it can work but to make no reference to it in the story if its set in the 21st century about how unusual the name is may make the story less believeable.
    Buts as someone said its a good writer can make anything work.

5. Arrow

Arrow New Member

Actually, if you keep the Greek names such as Icarus and/or Euridyce, but contextualize them in contemporary time with contemporary "circumstances" I'd be willing to read it--if it's good writing.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Actually I think Icarus is a pretty cool name XD

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Keeping the original names is fine if you want to be obvious with it. If you want to be more subtle (i. e., not have your story scream, "This is based on a Greek myth!" ), you could change the names to make them more modern, or at least give the characters with ancient Greek names more modern nicknames. For example, the first modern nickname that springs to mind for Icarus, for me, is "Ike."

Eurydice is more complicated. I can't think of a modern-day similar name. Maybe just shorten it to "Eurie"? Many people don't even know how it's pronounced and would just read it as "Yoory-dice" (as in the fuzzy things you hang from a rearview mirror).

I knew a Medea when I was in high school if that helps. And one of the detectives on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" once went undercover with the name Persephone (and another cop pronounced it "Perseh-phone," as in what you make a telephone call on).

I like rewriting myths, but not in a modern context. That's just me.

8. AmeliahFrankie

AmeliahFrankie New Member

Thank You all :)

This has been really reassruring, and I love the idea of shortening 'Icarus' to 'Ike' :)

I'm thinking I can keep the names, so yay!

Thanks Again!
    :)

9. Alistair Halfcracker

Alistair Halfcracker New Member

In the context of writing, you are omnipotent...