Calling All Australians and New Zealanders or people with knowledge about them!

Discussion in 'Research' started by That Silly Welsh Guy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. That Silly Welsh Guy

That Silly Welsh Guy New Member

Thankyou one and all for your replies, but as is always the case, school work has been getting in the way of my writing lately so I have yet to get far enough into my story for these to come in handy just yet. But they WILL be used, so please keep your suggestions coming and I will definitely be back if I have a specific question.

And now on to responding to some of these comments!

I have seen it often spelt like 'ae' with a macron over the a myself, but yeah that's not the point I wanna make. The poitn I wanna make is that little interjection has woven it's way into my daily speech without me having gone to New Zealand in ever. :confused: I blame my penpal - she got me into it, and my friends are gonna rip into me if/when they discover it lol, but they think I've just taken to say 'aye' at the end of everything :redface: But I believe it's an interjection that means 'yes' doesn't it? I do however agree with letting 'fush and chups' be my guide - you guys have awesome accents, I love them - they just sound lush. I want an accent like that! ... *grumbles* What I find hilarious though is how people tend to confuse the Aussie and Kiwi accents - they're two distinct things in my eyes. New Zealanders says 'fush and chups' - Aussies say 'feesh and cheeps' :p

I loooooove pavlova :D It's the best things ever to come out of previous British colonies, heh. I don't agree with kiwifruit on a pavlova though, strawberries for me personally. Oh and on the topic of stealing things from other countries lol ...

Could you hunt me down a link to this video, please? Sounds intrguing. I've done a cursory search on YT myself, but it's just throwing up every advert by Tower that's ever been made, and I don't actually know what I'm looking.

I'll be back with more questions at a later date no doubt. Thankyou very much for your help so far!

2. Encore

Encore New Member

I live in Australia, not sure how much of a help I can be, but I have lived in Tasmania, central New South Wales, Northern Territory (the Top End) and am currently living in Western Australia.

I don't know anything about surfing but Bondi beach wouldn't be a good spot, too many tourists. There is a reality TV show called Bondi Rescue and I don't see too many surfers on it, just alot of tourists and locals being rescued from rips etc.

Anyway there is definately a rivalry between NZ and Aus especially in the Rugby, and also the cricket.

There is also a big rilalry within Aus each year between Queensland and NSW in the Rugby League called State of Origin. Bascially its a tri-series played during each footy season with the best players from QLD and NSW, for the supporters of this it means going to the pub, or a mates place, drinking beer, watching the game and paying each other out if you happen to go for different teams, especially if your team is winning :)

There is also the V8 Supercars which is popular, they even have one of their races over in NZ and I think a few of the drivers are New Zealander's.

As for the way we talk, please don't use the term "chuck another snag on the barbie" it's been soooooooo overdone!

Anyway, if there is anything specific I can help you with or you want me to expand on anything, I will see what I can do. Good luck. :)

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Never ever heard an Aussie use it apart form being a dickhead

Tasmania is the place to go for BIG wave surfing, which they have discovered over the last decade (some you have to get a few miles out into the ocean), not bad for 60 foot waves day in, day out.

South Cost NSW has dozens decent surfing spots. We have the womens world champ living locally down here.

On a side note can New Zealand please reclaim Russell Crowe, PLEASE....

Australia has a great tradition of stealing NZ stuff. I mean Australians are criminals, so like what do you really expect!

I cant wait for the next big Aussie talent...i mean NZ talent!

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

5. Mystery Meat

Mystery Meat New Member

Let me remind you about the ad that recently had your pollies up in arms....

100% Fresh Air
    100% Natural Energy
    100% Beautiful
    0% Airforce
    0% Navy
    0% Infantry

100% There for the taking

To answer the OP: I hope you are taking notes about this NZ-Aust rivalry, it's forms the basisi of most of our international relations.

6. That Silly Welsh Guy

You can take your Kiwi ex-pat rugby players back! xD They're infesting our game and taking chances of first XV rugby away from local, Welsh youngsters - and all for a big pay cheque! It's your choice - take them back and let our own talent grow (and thus assert Wales as one of the best rugby teams in world once again a la the 1970s) or teach us about the training runs you do down that way! How can you be insanely big, speedy AND skillfull all in one?! It's no fair :( - especially on tiny wingers like ickle Shane :p

It's your choice :)

The joys of still having the Union Jack included on your flag I guess - Brits would be more than happy to help out the Kiwis if it came to it; it'd be an awesome tour of duty I'm guessing. My brother's a sub-lieutenant in Britsh Royal Navy and, apparently, a topic in the ward-rooms that is ever present is 'what would be your best tour?' and New Zealand and the antipodes constantly come out on top ... wonder why that is? lol.

And yeah, I am taking note of the Aussie-Kiwi rivarly on this forum - it is rather amusing. I would like to say it's similar to English/Welsh rivalry but it isn't. The Wales/England game in the Six Nations - there is no neutral fan for that game, you HAVE to pick a side. It's a crazy tension between us and it can get quite fiesty at times.

7. Speedy

New Zealand need to take their rugby players back so one day they might actually win a decent trophy, like the world cup........hahaha., sorry i made myself laugh.

8. That Silly Welsh Guy

Aha - that made me laugh too! Sorry, but it did. But I can't talk - Wales got knocked out by Fiji of all nations last time! ... Wouldn't it just be jammy of them to repeat an - as it stands - one-off feat of winning the trophy on home soil? It'd be really annoying. But credit where credit is due - the Kiwi Rugby League side did awesome this/last year =]

9. Speedy

With an Australian coach!

Whom is the greatest rugby league brain ever.

Look what Nea Zealand coaches do. They single handly killed Australian Rugby Union (Yes im looking at you eddie Jones, you NZ son of a %$#@!(

10. That Silly Welsh Guy

Eddie Jones is a Kiwi? :O Well well, you learn some new stuff every day it seems - well, you do if I'm not misinterpreting what you're saying. Another thing about NZ coaches - we have too many of them up here as well! But I don't neccessarily mind that 'cause Warren Gatland is genius leading up to a Grand Slam in his first season. You Kiwis missed out big time with not snaring him to the NZRU, he should've been the next AB coach - not that silly Henry. Who extends the contract of a coach who failed to get past the quarter final stage of a WC!? Good coup by the Aussies over Deans though - fair play.

11. wiggons

wiggons New Member

WE AUSSIES RULE!!!
    sorry. i couldnt resist........

12. Joran Selemis

Joran Selemis Member

Cronulla, Bondi, Coogee, Bronte. These are all prominent beaches in Sydney. As for out of sydney, I have no idea. Oh wait, yes I do. Um...Jarvis Bay, Killcare. There's another one but I can't think of it. Ah well...hope it helped.