Tags:
  1. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Campus

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by The-Joker, May 26, 2011.

Hi guys.

I'm working on a YA fantasy book that predominatly takes place in a school. So do any of you know any fantasy books that are set in a school or university. Think Harry Potter.

I'm currently reading vampire academy and it's pretty good for that teenage hormones/ campus politics feel, but the protagonists are very much 'female' and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get through all six books of this 'crushing on this guy and that guy' stuff. So yeah if the protagonist is male that would be even better though any sort of fantasy school setting will do.

Thanks.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

There's the "worst witch" series, but that's for little kids, maybe the 1st-5th grade levels. But it's about a little girl at a witch school, kind of like Harry Potter before H.P. came out. Also, Does Artemis Fowl take place in a school? I haven't read much of it, but I think it might.

3. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

Thanks Mal. To be more specific my characters are fifteen to seventeen years.

4. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I know it's not books, but how about the first three seasons of Buffy? I think that series mixed the supernatural with the hormonal perfectly. And you can focus on Xander since you want something from a guys pov.

5. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I think it was called Witch Week, one of Diana Wynne Jones's books :) It's just a one-off novel, but I'm having real trouble remembering the names of a couple of series I did read where there were schools and magic involved.

6. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

There is the "Lightening Thief" by Rick Riordan, but it moves from a real school to a fantasy camp too soon.

There is also the "Chronicles of Nick" by Sherrilyn Kenyon but he lives with his mom and spends very little time on campus.

This is a hard one.

7. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Aside from lesser known novels it may be hard to find. I read a semi-academic essay about Harry Potter which explained how it had basically revived the boarding school genre, so many novels will only include school incidentally; there are not many titles around which depend on being set in a school. Maybe there are some these days riding on the back of Harry Potter, but I haven't seen them. :p

8. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I would say the Clique novels, since they take place in and around school for a lot of the story, but they're a bit vapid.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

"Prep" is a novel about a high school girl in prep school. There's no magic involved, but it does deal with boarding school life, if you're looking for knowledge on that end.