Tags:
  1. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Can robots be driven insane?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by TheApprentice, May 28, 2017.

Alright, so part of the lore for my stories is an army of soldiers that have had their minds altered and fused/replaced with cybernetic parts so that the eldritch monsters they are fighting cannot drive them insane.

Now I am just curious, do you guys think a cyborg with a robot mind should go crazy when they look upon an eldritch abomination or elder god?

zoupskim likes this.
  2. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

This is not the approach I would take with this. Instead, I'd suggest the eldritch beings 'show' how much more superior they are to their creators, in an effort to turn the robots against their creators.

3. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd start from "why do eldritch monsters drive people insane?". Usually, it's because people can't comprehend the nature of them - they're impossible, they don't abide by the laws of reality, the human mind can't understand / operate on the level they exist on. So, is the implication that robots do operate on that level? Or is it that they lack any real comprehension; they're not even attempting to understand, so they're not going to be damaged by failing to? I could accept the latter as a reader, if we're talking about mindless drones rather than complicated AIs, but the former would be a tougher sell.

If we go off of the idea that robots are 'immune' because they're not capable of thought, that makes me wonder why you need cyborgs / human parts at all. Just make robots. I'd have a difficult time believing that it's easier or cheaper or in any way more efficient to alter humans to the point that they're essentially robots (a robot 'brain' strapped into a meat suit?) than it is to just ... make robots.

I think anything automated could probably be a defense against crazy-making horrors, but anything with a mind would be at risk, including advanced AIs, but it depends on how you decide that the horrors work. I mean, in some stories you can't look at a gorgon at all, and in some you can safely look at their reflection, and in some you can look at any part of them but their eyes. There aren't actual rules. It can work however you want it to, as long as there's internal consistency.

If you want to go a different route with how the horrors get to the humans, you have more options. Do they only mess with people when we look at them? Sounds like blind soldiers are all good. Maybe there's some way we can perceive them apart from traditional vision - echolocation, infrared sight, whatever. If they assault our other senses, we block those out too and find workarounds. If just being around them does it, we go remote.

You have a lot to potentially play with here, but I do think that step one is establishing how exactly the horrors function. Then take your setting into account when it comes to figuring out to what degree and in what ways people can defend themselves, and keep in mind that your setting is all up to you, too - they can have whatever defenses you wanna give them.

Viserion and Arktaurous34 like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    But your question makes no sense. Though it could be from a logical paradox
    that gods don't exist so there fore would try to reasonably explain it. WH40K
    dodges this problem because they have gods and don't use AI very much if
    at all. And the only version of AI have seen is based on using highly trained
    beings that can handle some of their tech.

So with conditioning to accept that something that should otherwise not
    exist, and poof done. Though you have not explained the properties of
    either being/creature your asking about, so there is no way to supply
    a possible solution. Maybe you should do a little research on how
    Titans work in the WH40K universe, to better find an answer.