1. kirsten1217

kirsten1217 New Member

Can Someone Give Me A Prompt

Discussion in 'Word games' started by kirsten1217, Nov 9, 2017.

I'm writing a 10-Minute Play and I have no ideas whatsoever. If you could help me out by giving me a few ideas to get started, I would appreciate it.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Crib off the "Rude Mechanicals" play from within "Midsummer Night's Dream"...

Seriously, Kirsten, the only time you post is to ask for us to write your story for you.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

that's a bit harsh given she only joined on Monday and only has two posts

4. Mike43

Mike43 Member

@Shadowfax: Sorry, but that's not a comment that will encourage and I'm sure you don't seek to discourage. New member, two posts, and hit with criticism for asking for help? Okay, you have a gazillion posts to your name but hey, like everyone else you had to start somewhere and I don't see where or how kirsten1217 is asking anyone to write her story for her. She is asking for ideas.

@Moose: Thanks for sticking up for kirsten1217. I'm a newcomer to this board myself and nobody knows my life circumstances or indeed knows much about the circumstances of many if not the vast majority of posters, including kirsten1217. I don't have anyone at all outside of the forum to talk to when it comes to the subject of writing - and I do mean nobody at all. I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere that has one general dealers shop, a part-time post office and that's it. Most of the 125 residents are old, like me, and there is very little social interaction between people. There is no town meeting hall and no one that I have met here has the slightest interest in anything to do with writing.

Is not this board a community of people who represent all skill levels and experience in writing and who are here to share their thoughts and ideas on writing, to get and to give?

@kirsten1217: You could try the 'What If' approach to finding an idea.

What if . . . you left your home to go to the corner shop, or to college, or whatever (as you might have done every day) only to find that it's suddenly not there anymore? Poof, it vanished overnight. Creepy, amazing, a mystery, science fiction or what? It's whatever you care to make of it. What might you feel and think at that moment? Is that 'place' the only thing that's vanished or have a number of things changed? Are you dreaming or is it real?

For a moment forget the rules, all rules, and be as outlandish as you like and let your imagination fly free.

Speaking of flying, well, pretty loosely anyway, but what if . . . you were on your way to anywhere (as in the example above) and a nine foot tall and amazingly beautiful multi-coloured parrot stepped out from an alleyway into your path, propped its wing-wrists on its hips, looked directly at you and said, "do you know, I'm really sick of this. I feel so unwanted. Everywhere I go things keep disappearing." (okay, it's a cartoon comic caricature)

What's important is that you write. It doesn't have to be a work of art, it doesn't have to make sense. It can be anything. Sooner rather than later you'll latch onto an idea that you find intriguing and you take it from there. Hey, maybe the play is about the frustrations of a writer facing a blank piece of paper or a blank screen? Now, what if . . .

All the best.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  5. kirsten1217

kirsten1217 New Member

I can usually write the story just fine. I come on forums like this so I can get a few ideas. I can expand on the idea with no problem. I do plan on posting more often as well.

@Mike43 Thanks for the idea. I think it's a great way to get the creative juices flowing. I thought of this "what if" thing where cats are personified and it's their internal thoughts when they get on the counters and tables :D

Thanks guys,
    Kirsten

Mike43 likes this.
  6. Mike43

Mike43 Member

Hi Kirsten, I'm pleased the what-if got the creative going. I've got 14 cats and every one of them has a unique character. Some enjoy the rough and tumble of play whilst others - maybe the older and wiser ones (?) perch themselves on high spots and casually look on, seemingly detached and appearing rather imperious :) I often wonder what they're thinking. Giving them human qualities (more transmogrification than anthropomorphism) I can imagine all sorts of conversations and observations they might be having. Maybe they chat telepathically with each other. Hey guys and gals, looks like our human's going to play that hit the board on his knee game again. So who gets to jump at the flying arrow on the screen today !!!

Have fun.