Can someone steal a novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ps102, Jun 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I don't really know... not that long ago we banned a guy for taking the work of published authors and trying to pass it off as his own in the workshop... i assume people like that are looking for an ego bump by gaining cheap praise or possibly to feel superior to the people they've deceived...whichever its a fairly pathetic way to live your life

Vince Higgins likes this.
  2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Say what? Really? How did you find out?

And I wonder how he thought he could get away with it.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

we found out because someone recognised it and reported him... subsequently we realised he'd done it before in another post... as wrey used to say people are strange squirelly paradigms

4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

You can also google several paragraphs at once. I think they limited it to 500 words. I have done that with some post to see if it's legit.

5. ps102

ps102 PureSnows102 Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

I wonder if they also did it to see how someone else's work would be perceived once seen as an unknown author's work instead of someone who is already established. Maybe as an experiment or something to study why people like the things that they do. I really can't see why someone would feel a boost after something like that, it's like inserting a cheat code to get a good score instantly, so it makes little sense to me anyway.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I've seen people try to pass off such work as their own as well and I don't believe it likely that it's just an 'experiment.' At the very least, someone who wanted to run that kind of experiment on a forum should alert the mods and ask for permission first (which will likely be denied because the user would be deceiving the members of the site who are going to put their time into a critique).

Homer Potvin likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

No, that's just someone being a douche. Comes in assorted flavors and colors.

8. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

People do all kinds of stupid stuff. In my critique group, one author took the unpublished work of another author and released it as far and wide as he could, just because they hated each other. Not only did he get ousted from the group but the lawyers had a field day.

9. big soft moose

we also use plagiarism checkers when we need to... there's a number out there....

Thundair likes this.
  10. ps102

Of course... I only said so because people run social experiments for YouTube videos all the time, so I wouldn't put this past someone.

11. Naomasa298

Sure, but I imagine the mods don't do that routinely as a matter of course, which is why I was curious.

12. Mogador

Mogador Senior Member

I guess they thought they'd picked something sufficiently obscure. Maybe it started with "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

deadrats likes this.
  13. Naomasa298

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

Mogador likes this.
  14. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Same reason people play online with godmode on. It's not the game that matters, it's about being able to say you did it.
    I have several solutions for people like that, as well as the plagiarists, but it's a work in progress. I don't know how to dispose of their remains yet.

15. ps102

Well then... that's ominous...

16. big soft moose

as our old admin wreybies used to say people are strange special squirrelly paradigms... the vast majority of people are fine but when you moderate for any length of time you see any number of people who really arent

talking of moderation as this thread is now totally off topic i'm going to close it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.