1. writermama

writermama New Member

can you help me find a word

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by writermama, May 31, 2011.

Hi, I'm brand new to this website and joined because I translate writings from other languages into English. English is my natural, first language but I've found that it's difficult to find the right word to convey the same meaning in such a succinct way. So I need some help, and I didn't know where to go.

So the meaning I'm trying to convey from a poem is a person who knows a route very well, like in intimate detail, where to go and where to avoid. This person isn't necessarily a guide but rather is a frequent traveler so much so that he/she could travel with closed eyes and make it through in the easiest way.

I'm translating a poem into poem form so that's why it's so challenging. It's not just a matter of describing the person but doing it with so little English so that the flow isn't disturbed. The language I'm translating it from has this person pegged with three small words. =(

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Here are some that may or may not work:

Mentor
    Wisened
    Seer
    Warrior/survivor
    Trailblazer
    Leader
    Pathfinder
    Expert

A lot of this depends on context. You gave a definition of what kind of word you want, but there's other factors, too. Is the poem written in a style that's modern, or old-fashioned? Does it conjure up imagery of cities, or of the countryside, or of ancient Mayan/Indian stuff? Is the path-leader type person someone who's made it through a time road time and again, or more like someone who is gentle and cautious, or free-spirited? Is this person an intimate friend or mentor to the narrator, or is it more of a detached observation? Etc.

3. writermama

writermama New Member

Thanks Mallory.

Yes there's context. The entire path is of a spiritual nature though not confound to a particular era.

I guess the phrase that would fit would be Oh Knower of the way or Oh one who knows this path etc. Though what follows this would destroy the mere thought that the person could have known the way actually. The person 'should' know the way but the behavior of the person isn't such that shows his/her true understanding. But I can't outright say that.

4. Mallory

How about just going with Knower? or Seer? or Englightened, Illuminated, etc?

5. writermama

writermama New Member

I think I don't have a choice.. There just isn't a word that sums it up similarly. Thank you =)

6. Mallory

I can maybe find the perfect word if you PM me the whole poem.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

what language are you translating from and what are the three words?