1. Calamity Drive

Calamity Drive New Member

Can you jump out of a plane?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Calamity Drive, Feb 21, 2010.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, not used to this site yet.
    Had a dream about this the other day. I want to use it for something I'm doing in English, I'm just not sure if it seems believeable.

When you open the doors leading out of the plane is it possible to stand in the doorway without getting sucked out?

Are you allowed to bring parachute with you on the plane?

Say a friend of yours is thrown out of a plane by a group of hijackers, can you punch out one of the hijackers steal their parachute and save your friend without ever having any parachuting experience? Is it possible to survive the fall by hitting the water?

???

2. Neoaptt

Neoaptt Banned

The idea behind getting sucked out of a plain is that the cabin is pressured. So when low pressure meets high pressure the low pressure take the high pressure and defuses it into the air. Making the suction you get from the plains. so if the plains door opens and the initial sucking doesn't take you out of the plain, you can then walk freely around the plain.

In commercial airlines you do not have parachutes on the plain. And if you do, there are only 3 or 5 for the pilot and crew. But if you are in a private plain you can bring your own parachute or there will be enough for everyone on board. So if you are on a commercial airline you would have to be the first one up and getting the parachute.

But this also creates a problem with how you breath. Since you cabin was pressurized you were breathing thick air. Then suddenly you aren't breathing enough air because it thinned. That's why they have though masks that fall down. You black out without enough oxygen. But if you are fast enough you can get out and parachute to thicker air. Where you will be able to breathe.

3. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

There's also the cold temperatures. It is one degree colder for every hundred metres up you go in the atmosphere. That goes down to at least -35 if you are at the height of a regular plane, and much lower if you are in the far north or far south. You'd need Arctic clothing at that altitude.

4. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

You would never survive a fall into water from hundreds of feet up let alone thousands. So no, if you hit water, you're still toast.

Best, Whiskey

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

I think you'd have a problem catching your friend.

I assume you mean, you'll punch out the hijackers, then steal a parachute, then jump out of the plane, grab your friend, and then open the parachute?

It's not plausible. You friend will have been free-falling for a while, the gap would probably be too large. The only way you could catch up is if he has his limbs outstretched and yours are tucked, even then you'd miss him on the way down. No, I don't think it's very plausible at all.

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

My cousin was a skydiver back in 1970 when his parachute failed. His reserve chute tangled and he hit the ground at a high speed, slowed a little by a "bubble" in his main chute. He lived and went on the be a professor of physiology at the University of Florida.

For purposes of this thread, it is instructive to see a real life account where a parachute did not fully open and the impact was survivable. I agree that a high altitude "jump" entails many more problems than one from below ten thousand feet. Cold and lack of oxygen are the two biggest obstacles, after the initial impact with 300 mile per hour wind outside the aircraft. You can get details about the issues associated with high altitude parachute jumps from the preparation by Military HALO teams. (High Altitude Low Opening paratroop teams)

Could your character fight with bad guys, grab a parachute and catch up with a free falling friend? Absolutely not. Aerodynamic drag from the unopened parachute would slow his fall while his friend fell at a higher velocity. You might reverse that premise. Have the friend grab a chute as he is shoved out. Then, your character leaps out without a chute, employs standard skydiving aerodynamic positioning to catch up with the friend who is free falling a little slower. (By the way, typical terminal velocity for a sky diver is around 120 miles per hour.) One of them might slip the parachute on and deploy it, but the second person would not be strong enough to hang on when it suddenly stops the fast descent. And, all of that would have to be completed pretty fast because it takes ten seconds to cover the first thousand feet and 6 seconds per thousand feet thereafter. Fall from ten thousand feet would go splat in a little over one minute.There's way too much unbelievable action that would have to happen during a 100 mile per hour fall, lasting a minute.

By the way, my cousin went on the become a regular marathon runner so he fully recovered. Hope this helps.

7. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

On Commercial Airliners its impossible to even open the doors. The pressure is to strong.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

That depends on the style of plane. Boeing 727's have a rear ramp that the famous DB Cooper used to jump out during his robbery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

It is my understanding that the FAA ordered all those 727 rear ramps to be deactivated but a little research might reveal a way to re-activate one.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...depends on what kind of plane it is... you could, on a small plane that's not pressurized... or, if an airliner, it would have to be at a low altitude, before the cabin has been pressurized...

not if it isn't packed in your carry-on bag... unless it's a plane you're expected to jump out of, in which case you'd be wearing it, not carrying it...

however, if during the security check it's seen in your carry-on bag, i've no doubt you'd be taken aside and questioned by the homeland security folks as to why you've got it with you!

first of all, w/o any knowledge of such things you wouldn't even know how to put one one properly, let alone do so quickly enough to save your friend... then, you'd have to know how to direct your free fall, to be able to catch up with and grab him/her, before deploying the chute... and the plane would have to be pretty high up to have enough time to do all that, before hitting the ground...

sure, if it's not at a high enough altitude for the impact to kill you...

10. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I agree. Also, if it was possible, some twit would have done it by now and gone down in aviation history.

11. Calamity Drive

Calamity Drive New Member

Wow... I really need to stop watching these action movies.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll need to think of a more believable idea then. :p