1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Can't start my story because...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Marcelo, Aug 9, 2008.

I've hit some roadblocks. Hope you can unblock the roads!

Ok, here's what I got so far. The place is called The Greylands, which supposedly exists. How? When men started expanding their horizons, the creatures of myth and legend fled from them, until most of them arrived at a forest which was rich and abundant in _______. Inside the forest, there were vast lands which were later divided into four: Highlands, Boglands, Lonelands and Woodlands. The forest grew until it was impossible to leave or enter, and men called it Tir Na Nog.

Well my story starts with Tristan, a boy who lives in Norwitch. The town is full of frauds who call themselves merchants, witches and vampires, but the Count fears to take action against them. Tristan is an orphan, because his parents died by falling into bog (in the Boglands, where the town is located).

While most people are oblivious of the dangers the dark creatures represent, there is a group of people who fight against them called Warders.

So here are the roadblocks:

- Don't know how to start the story. I know I want three warders to go fetch Tristan, but I want Tristan to be in danger first.

- There are four _____ forged long ago in the ages of the Old Kingdom that warded all evil, but they were lost after the war that ended the Old Kingdom. Tristan needs to find _____ with a _____ that shows him were they are.

Help please?

2. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Ya know, Tir Na Nog, reminds me of a place in that show Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.

You can start the story out by having Tristan wander out one day for some reason I'm sure you can make up, and then gets attacked by the creatures. However, he actually manages to defend himself, and the Warders just hppen to pass by and saw him. Some stuff happens, the Warders acknowledge his skills, and goes to fetch him.

Just an idea to help you out maybe.

3. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

I always have trouble with starting a stroy. I usually resolve this by leafing through some books and piecing up a catchy first sentence. Then I branch out from there.

~ Watchmen.

4. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

First question... are you being historically accurate with Tir na Nog? It does not seem so. You might try some research into the real Irish myths and use something similar to an event there.

As to starting the story, just have some dark creatures attack. Also, your wording on the vamp/witch thing is a bit ambiguous... are they really?

5. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ok. I checked Tir Na Nog and I was wrong, as it is an island in the far edges of the west sea (woopsie). Well I'll change the name later but to the point. About witches and vampires... Here's the thing. Of all the dark creatures, there are four beings who are the most powerful, which are: Witches, vampires, werewolves and ________ (who are warders who fell into the darkness). Alone, they were easily defeated, but the leader of the _______ has gathered all the dark creatures to make an army. The antagonists are called 'The Black Court', who are the leader of each of those beings.

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

And Nilfiry, let me say I liked the idea. But... I dunno, I think I have heard of it somewhere...? Just want to know, is it considered a cliche? I already know how to start the story (thanks to you guys) but I don't know about that part... Can you fill those blank line again?

7. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Do you really want us to fill in those blanks for you? The things that you fill them in with will probably have more of an effect on the story than you are thinking they will.

8. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Its not the idea that's truely trite, it how you develop and write the story.

About this:
    This is kinda difficult. You haven't said much about your warders. Do they have some sort of special class that affects which of those they become when they fall into darkness, or is there something that causes them to become those? If they were those creatures to begin with, then that's much easier to answer.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Well, I have a lot of time to fill the blanks... The ideas usually come. Warders are people with special abilities, say, like a wizard has magic. But, in lust or obssession, they let their souls become tainted by dark spirits. So they become like another being, but similar to humans.

10. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Add cannibalism (or a take on it) and call them Wendigo.
    Or find some other myth that fits ... a wendigo just came to mind as it's a rarely used monster that people can become (if they resort to cannibalism or are possessed by one).

11. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Ok.

Let me see if I have this right. You have this ethereal place that the mystical,mythological, and strange beings went to to feel from the humans that encroached upon their land and were killing them off.

The First problem that hits me ... how is it that that there are humans here as well?

As for your: Fill in the Blank Adventure:

First I want to impress upon you that the most important part of being an author is being able to develop and create these types of things.

What I am about to say might seem rude, but sadly it is not. If you really can't think of anything these are the generic run on the mill answers.

Look at these like the Universal Generic Standard parts of Fantasy equipment.

As for what is abundant in this place: The typical answers are: Special Magical Power/Food/Creatures.

Normal Provisions are:Gems, Plants, insects, ambient force, animals, minerals, metals, water or liquids.

You get the basic idea.

As for what was made a long time ago:

The answer is always: Artifacts,

Since Artifacts can be anything, weapons, tools, equipment, you name. It is a good little catch all that you can "figure out when you get to it" type thing.

Now the MC is always given some piece of jewelry that will help him find the artifacts:

IE: necklace, charm, pendant, The generic norm is that it has to be something he can hold.

As for the people that turn bad.

Just toss Night, Moon, Dark, Black, or some other "Negative Illumination" type word on them and presto you have your anti-good-guys.

I hope some of this helps you get back to plot and story development.

12. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Wow, really helped that 'fill in the blank'. I would tell you more about The Greylands, but I think I already talked much about it. :redface:

Well, time to work!

13. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or genuine... :confused:

Good luck with the story. It sounds like a fun story to read, not sure if that helps you.

14. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I'm being genuine.. xD
    However, I still need some time developing the characters and stuff... When I start my story, could you review it?

15. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I would be glad to.

Send me a PM when you put it up in the story review area.

16. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ok. :D

17. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Whenever I have an idea, but I don't know how to start the story, I just randomly choose a situation and go from there. I'll put a character in whatever scene first pops into my head, then try to ease into my initial story idea. It's actually worked pretty well for me so far, so I've stuck to it.