Careful wording

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Islander, Sep 12, 2010.

1. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Struck me as a bit odd that he judges her appearance after having had lunch with her. Your initial post sounded more like a first impression.

2. Horizon Noise

Horizon Noise New Member

In that case, whilst I don't really know why he expects her to drive as most business people in the city (UK city at least) would take public transport or, if very well-to-do, have a chauffeur, I'd go with

"If you drive directly to the airport you'll catch your plane, no problem."

She tucked the folder inside her jacket. "I don't drive. I can't stand city traffic."

[Name] glanced at the woman as she donned her gloves. She was smartly dressed and her credentials checked out so he found it surprising that she didn't drive. Maybe it was a Korean thing.

And no, I don't like adverbs or adjectives :)

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Thanks for the advice. It's oddly fitting that the scene made two of you think of Mary Poppins. It's as if you read my mind. :)

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

it now makes complete sense yes he would be checking her out more after the meal, and your initial sentence is perfect. Mind you I usually get your descriptions on one of your first stories here I was wondering what people were on about seeing Asian things in a medieval european monastery.

Don't doubt yourself usually nail this stuff well and if the story is now going where I think it might be you did with your first sentence. Your ability with both dialogue and description is some of the best I have ever read. Just hurry up and get a novel I can read published lol

5. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

I was just going to write that I'll leave out the part where the man becomes uncertain about the woman, since it didn't make sense to you peeps.

Also, thanks to you I'll put in a Mary Poppins reference :)

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

:) glad to of assistance. In context it works really well. When I was seeing it as a man checking out just a date it was weird.

7. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Happy to help, Islander. It makes perfect sense now that you have given the context. I think it's a great idea that he inspects her after lunch and the transition is smooth to her comment that she doesn't drive. Oh and I'm glad about the Mary Poppins bit! Great minds think alike, I always say, but I'm not trying to be modest. Although, Charlotte, you may take the compliment. ;)

1 person likes this.