1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Catching Fire (Hunger Games Novel)

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 28, 2011.

So im reading the second Hunger Games book, Catching Fire and i have to say it's pretty good for a sequel, being in the middle of a trilogy. Im on page 164 i believe, and so far so good. It starts out a bit slow at first, and then it picks to a pulse-pounding climax. I honestly can't wait to finish this book and read Mockingjay and then wait for the Hungers Games movie to come out! I personally like the part in Catching Fire where Katiniss explains how she got her name- a question ive had since the first book. I think Suzanne Collins is a great writer and i know the rest of this book and Mockingjay will not disappoint.

2. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I liked Catching Fire, but the first book was my favorite.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

I like the first book alot too, and sorry if you had a hard time reading that. I just noticed i left out quite a few words haha.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I'm also about halfway through "Catching Fire." It started getting good when all the statist brutality started appearing around their district, but before that, it was too....Katniss getting ready for her speeches, fashion descriptions, Gale/Peeta angst...bleh. (Although the District 11 speech/salute and what followed it were pretty powerful in my opinion).

I can see the plot amping up, but I definitely liked the first one better.

5. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

The problem with Catching Fire is that it's the same premise with a different slant. It lost the element of surprise, and as such nothing really stood out for me, except for one scene. I remember it as the tic toc scene, but other than that nothing. Still a moderately entertaining read though.

6. Fullmetal Xeno

The part with Hsymitch and him being crowned winner? That broke my heart inside.. it's one of the many reasons he drinks so much liquor. He's depressed and feels awful about that day he won. But yeah, it's a typical second book. Most part 2 out of 3 trilogies always are the slowest ones. This one so far is kinda slow though. Im on page 253 now. Good read, just a tad slow. But im still upset about that one scene though.. poor Haymitch :(

7. LaurenM

LaurenM Member

Catching Fire was good, but I liked Hunger Games best, and Mockinjay just pissed me off. I really hated the way she finished off the series. Probably why I haven't read it in a while, because I know I'll read the last book and be pissed off again.

8. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Yeah, ditto on everything you said. The 1st book was great, but it went downhill from there with Mockingjay's weird turn of events reminding me of the bizarre-ness which was Breaking Dawn.

9. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

^ I can see that as I continue reading through the series. First book was definitely the best.

One thing I do love about the series is how Suzanne Collins uses all the various images and references of fire to symbolize the revolution. Because I love fire...and who doesn't love a good anti-totalitarianism revolution? :D

10. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

No it wasn't that scene. Something about a clock. But I don't want to ruin it if you haven't read that part already.

11. Toughguy

Toughguy New Member

I have ordered it trough amazon and it is worth paying ! but to be frank in enjoyed The Hunger Games more compare to the second series so called Catching Fire !

12. SirForPresident

SirForPresident New Member

While many say that the quality lessens as the books go on, I didn't see much of it. I personally enjoyed the ending of each book, whereas many did not. It really all comes down to a personal taste, it may please some, but enrage others. If you were hooked through the first book, you'll be hooked through the second, and even the third, if not just to find out the storyline.

13. Lost_in_Thought

Lost_in_Thought New Member

I use to live in a Igloo, but it melted :)
    I agree, so many of my friends think the last two are not as great but I love them. I personaly think that too many people are just unhappy that prim....Major spoiler her that I'm not going to say because those who have read it should know what I'm talking about...and thats no reason to dislike a book. The only part I didn't overly like is the very ending, it made me think "I want to know more, tell more" But what ever.

14. SirForPresident

SirForPresident New Member

I can't say the 'prim' moment spoke to me, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. They were well written, and amazingly detailed. They were good books.