In my completed manuscript, which is now on its fourth edit and will be ready for agent representation search somewhere between early 2018 and spring 2018, I thought I'd share an interesting (to me at least) twist in the earliest stages of my process. Before I ever started writing I had a story idea and I spent four or five months researching, collecting interesting tidbits and primarily just thinking about the story. A month or two in I decided to add a character that would complement the story. The more I thought about the book and the story arc, the more I found myself thinking about this new character. The new character was much, much more interesting to me than the other characters in the story. Eventually this new character was almost all I thought about. Then another month in I came up with two characters that would complement the new character I liked so much. These two new characters were also more interesting to me than the original characters I had developed at the earliest stages of my thinking. Eventually I decided that the first new character would be the main character and then the two add-on characters would be the primary supporting actors. Once I decided that I added yet another new character who would be their supervisor/leader, but basically a complementary piece to the story. The characters I originally thought would be the stars of the book ended up being only bit players with one exception who played a decent-sized supporting role. By spending many months just thinking and not writing, my characters and story line underwent a major evolution. Just thought I'd share.