Tags:
  1. miss_darcy

miss_darcy New Member

changing POVs for different chapters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by miss_darcy, Nov 19, 2010.

Hey everyone!

So my story has these two main characters, they are twins (one boy and one girl) and for a while I was thinking of having the point of view as omniscient but then I was thinking of some future sub-plots and it would make more sense to have it be third-person. So my question is, do you think it would be too confusing for each chapter to have it's own POV? Like for my prologue it's omniscient, but maybe for chapter one I'll want to have it in third-person with one characters thoughts? Or am I just confusing third-person POV because the definition is:
    So do you think it would be alright if I changed third-person POV from between my two main characters when necessary or should I just stick with omniscient pov?

Hopefully this didn't come off as a confusing question! Thanks!

Darcy

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It really depends on how good of a writer you are and how well you can pull it off.....

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful lol...

Ask yourself: Why would you have to have it omniscient? Why not have limited 3rd for each of the twins, and limited 3rd for a different character (whomever we follow for the subplots)?

3. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

Go with what you think best serves the story. There's really no way anybody can give you an answer because both could theoretically work; only you are really fit to decide what best suits YOUR story.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I agree if it works do it. Personally i find POV changes easier to take in first person stories but it can be made to work in third person. I love the Hardy Boy series that trades off Frank and Joe they take it in turns to tell the story.

With my second book I have written half in one characters POV and half in another. The final chapter is currently third person but I may tweak that and make it entirely dialogue so it doesn't matter which one tells it. Right now think it works may not when I reread it at Christmas.

5. goldhawk

goldhawk New Member

Andre Norton in her Gryphon series writes each chapter in the first-person POV of the two main characters, alternating each with each chapter.

Ellen Kushner in her The Privilege of the Sword writes about her MC in first-person POV but all the other characters in third-person limited.

If you think were doing something new, sorry but you're not. All original ideas have been done before. :)

6. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Do it but make sure you make it clear whose "POV" it really is.

7. miss_darcy

miss_darcy New Member

thanks everyone for the advice! I guess I'm just going to have to write it and see how it flows!

@goldhawk: I wasn't thinking I was doing something new haha I know that completely original ideas are pretty much out the window by now, I was just asking if it would be confusing to readers to be jumping to different POVs.