Chapter titles

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Jonp, Apr 22, 2011.

1. PhaiRo

PhaiRo New Member

Chapter names can fit into any book of any age group...it all depends on the story and what you want to do with it.

A good chapter name depends on the writer.

2. Jonp

Jonp New Member

Title Issues

Yes, yes, another thread about naming books. I finally sort of have an idea of what to call it, but I'm torn.

On one hand I can have it short and concise, where it runs the risk of sounding generic and not particularly eye catching, on the other hand I can have it longer, make it stand out more, but run the risk of it being too much of a mouthful.

I've already decided this will be more than one novel, and I have the story for the second already planned out. My first problem is the series title, which is the one which I've had for longer. I've called it The Glass Tower, which may be an issue since the eponymous tower is not directly involved in the events of the first book (it is mentioned, it is the cause of a major event, but is not directly interacted with outside of the prologue). So I am not sure if this would put people off, if they feel mislead, or if they think the title is not really relevant (it will play a bigger part in book 2).

The second part I had more trouble with, the name of the book itself. In it, there are creatures who inhabit people's bodies and feed on the souls of the living (in a nutshell, it's much more involved and less generic than that, honest!), so I wanted to reflect that in the title. Just now I came up with "The Soul Devourers" or "The Devourers of Souls" or something like that, but again that sounds rather generic fantasy title to me and doesn't really pop. Currently I'm dwelling on putting the main character's name in there, making it "Elissa Wetherby and the Devourer of Souls", which I like, but draws obvious comparisons to the naming of the Harry Potter books (not that there's anything wrong with that per se, but I don't want to seem like I'm me-tooing).

Of course there are other combinations I could do, like call the series after the main character (The Wetherby Adventures, or something), the first book Devourer of Souls and the second book The Glass Tower, or something like that.

I mean, I'm still trying to think of a better title, one which really draws attention. I'm not a fan of Game of Thrones (I tried the TV series but wasn't keen on it), but to me the names of the books really stand out, so I'm holding out hope I come up with something like that.

Any thoughts?

3. JeffS65

JeffS65 New Member

I think 'over explaining' can be an issue with naming. 'Devourer of Souls' is too much, I think. When you added the person's name to it, it sounds like an evil version of Harry Potter.

Thus, I suppose, your thread.

I'd suggest:
    Dybbuk Within (definition of dybbuk)

Don't be to literal. Spend time thinking of words that describe what you want to say and go to Thesaurus.com and looking through synonyms for a word or words that strike you.

4. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

I must agree with the above response, but may I add a little advice regarding my opinion on a part of this response?

I wouldn't lean on using a word (from a thesaurus) that you are not familiar with. If you've never heard of the word before, or you are not familiar with the meaning right off hand, then I would suggest not using that word. Readers can tell when you've dug out of the thesaurus hole. They will notice you use the word once and that is it. Though, using that word throughout your writing will let the readers know you are familiar with this word and that you aren't either trying to sound smart, or let them know you were in fact having trouble with the title.

Trust me on this, I know from experience. I've had to change a lot of my writing in the past because, at the time, my best friend was in fact a thesaurus, and my teacher broke me from using it so much, and just using the vocabulary list in my head (or in other words, using what you know).

Hope this helped, and the above advice is quite helpful as well.

Good luck and happy writing.

5. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

If you're that torn, don't title it until you're ready. I titled a short story "Bedlam" a while ago. It was set in a mental asylum. Not in Bedlam in London. It was just a fictional one in America. The state of the story at the end was akin to bedlam (madness, confusion, uproar).

Titles are not dependent on things in the story itself.

As for your two titles, I do not suggest either of them. The Glass Tower is too close to The Dark Tower, which is a brilliant series, and as was mentioned, the second one sounds too close in structure to Harry Potter or any of those like *shudder* Percy Jackson as well.

Good luck and stuff.