Tags:
  1. Welsh_Biatch

Welsh_Biatch New Member

Novel Chapter writing

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Welsh_Biatch, Nov 27, 2009.

It doesnt matter how good I find my plot, I always find it difficult to fill in the chapters and start them off. This may seem extremely stupid but most of my plots I literally dream up which makes me instantly fall in love with them and feel connected. I always find shimmying around the plot exhausting always wanting to cut to the chase. Do any of you have any advice? Thank =)

2. Destin

Destin New Member

I have the same problem. The key for me is to think of interesting scenes in between that will help develop the story. Then I work toward those scenes, one at a time.

Of course, I am far from successful as a writer... so... I guess that shows how well my method works. :|

Good luck is all I can say.

3. Welsh_Biatch

Welsh_Biatch New Member

I also do the same as you but still struggle, the conversation in the story being a nightmare. arrrgghhh I wish I could be good at something in life lol x

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

If you’re the kind of person that wants to cut to the chase, then do so. Some writers are great at intricate, longwinded storytelling, and others are better at building rollercoaster rides. Just write the chapter in a way that keeps you interested.

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

My 2 cents are: Let it come to you as it will.

Often the only part that materializes for me in a scene, clearly, is the dialogue. I just write the dialogue. I don't worry about when they are doing or what they are wearing or what is happening around them unless the dialogue itself directs that information to appear.

Later I find all kinds of action and exposition that comes to me once I have the dialogue strait and I fill it through. This often changes the dialogue itself, but that's Ok, nothing is wasted.

This is what works for me. It might prove disastrous for others, but worth a shot, aye?

6. McDuff

McDuff New Member

I often split the chapters up between several characters. Of course this wouldn't work in all cases, but I find that it keeps the story fresh in my mind as well as give me time to brainstorm about what I want to do next when I go back to the previous character.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Fahgeddabout chapters when you are writing. Think in terms of scenes instead. You can divide into chapters later, if you must do so at all.

8. jlauren

jlauren New Member

I have the same problem of wanting to get straight into it, without doing any set-up. I get so excited about scenes that I see in my head, and because a have a full spectrum knowledge of my characters (to an extent) it all makes sense to me. But when I write it out, I find people tell me that the storyline feels rushed, or that everything happened too quickly. My issue is that I struggle finding interesting things for my characters to do, which will highlight who they are and generally strengthen the story.

I've tried writing the story out, scene by scene. Bad idea. I got bored with the story as soon as I did that. So now I just write with only the next 1 or 2 scenes in mind.

So basically, I'm also asking for help.