1. Plucko

Plucko New Member

Character Chart

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Plucko, Aug 10, 2008.

The following character chart might be interesting for some: http://www.epiguide.com/ep101/writing/charchart.html (I found it while "stumbling" with StumbleUpon).

You can print it out in PDF format (the .doc file does not appear to work) and .RTF format.

It's a huge chart which you can then print out and fill in, so you have a VERY detailed profile of your character(s), and a lot of people may find it to be handy!! :D

2. AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter New Member

Thanks for this. It's really helpful for when creating a new character. I usually try to store a lot of their details in my head but this will help me set them down so they're easy to access.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Great find and thanks.

4. Popsicle.culture

Popsicle.culture New Member

Agreed, awesome resource. Thanks!

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hmm. This is pretty much mine:

Name (Optional, subject to change):____________________________________
    Gender (Optional, subject to change):___________________________________
    Other (At some moment in time):_______________________________________

6. fantasywriter

fantasywriter New Member

Lol, Cogito. And thanks, Plucko. Too bad my darned printer doesn't work . . . I guess I'll have to write it out by hand. *sigh*

7. tnme22

tnme22 New Member

Oh my gosh! I love this!
    I have a Microsoft Excel file on my computer that list all my characters, their name, age, birthday, family, hair color, eye color, skin tone, marital status, job, pets, cars, boyfriend/girlfriend, grade, school, what they want to study, and if they play any instruments.
    I love this though. I'm going to use it on a bunch of my characters. Thanks :D

8. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Oooh, so glad I clicked on this thread! I bookmarked and next time I need to organize any new characters, I'm using it.

Why does everyone else stumble upon gold but me? Heh, when I try to use stumble upon, I always give up and feel like it's a waste. But then I see people finding all these good little sites. I guess I just give up too soon.

9. penhobby

penhobby New Member

Interesting concept, and I have tried similar ones in the past, but they didn’t work for me.

Now, I sit down at my laptop and begin to write, and my character’s personality, strengths and weaknesses are revealed to me as I go along. My characters are like family members to me, only better, because I can shut them up…or kill them off.(Just kidding honey—My hubby reads all my posts.)

Sometimes in the middle of writing a story, my character will go through a drastic change that I didn’t see coming. Or I will see the direction a character is going and try to pull back from it, but will be unable to, because my character has taken on a life of his/her own. And that depicts true life, which is what writing is all about for me.

10. Scarecrow28

Scarecrow28 New Member

Thanks for the link! This will definately come in handy!

11. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

I thought the most useful category on this chart was "Date this chart was completed". But maybe I can use it for ideas as opposed to actual recording.

12. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

A very interesting chart. I had no idea people would go into such detail to write down things about characters outside the story.

I generally keep my characters in my head but may give this a try and see if it helps. I think it will help me more for supporting characters rather than main characters but we'll see.

13. Kio

Kio New Member

This REALLY helped! Thank you so much, I was trying to find a proper questionnaire for a while now.

14. CobaltLion

CobaltLion New Member

Nice rescource. Filled a stack of them out for primary and secondary characters already. :)

15. dazbizkit

dazbizkit Member

Wow, nice find. I never really set anything in stone when I'm writing as I find myself having or wanting to change stuff throughout the story. I'll definatly give this a go.

By the way, the Rich Text Format works in Microsoft Word. That might be valuable for some of you to know! :)

16. stoned4assassin20

stoned4assassin20 New Member

I don't want to sit down and map out the details of my character on a chart. That feels so structured, so austere, so rigid. I want to feel my characters. With the facets of their existences dutifully typed out on a chart, they may be detailed and thought out, but they have no life. Cultivating your characters from a spore conceived in a moment of apparent inspiration to a phantasm as real as reality itself is something that a mere chart could never do. That's just me. I'm sure it helps some people. But I don't think that a real person could ever be captured within the confines of a chart--no matter how thorough it may be.

17. Alex_Hartman

Alex_Hartman New Member

Whoa. That's a big chart. I have a ton of these things saved on my computer, including this one. But for some reason, I never actually use them, I just like to look at them. They are good just for thinking about things.

Thanks =D

18. Ashley868

Ashley868 New Member

Wow. I really like that and am glad you posted it. I have been looking for a good character chart for a while. I have a hard time writing some characters and something like that will be really helpful.