Character Chatroom

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Simpson17866, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Allison: I'm not to sure if it's the same, but our rockets fly because of a fuel that produces a whole lot of fire. Half of the ships are filled with the stuff, and, when you ignite it, it makes, like, an explosion that lasts until you stop setting the fuel on fire. We point the explosions at the ground, and shoot our rockets into space. That's a really dumb explanation, but it's the best I can come up with.

2. Gladiolus83

Gladiolus83 Contributor Contributor

Kyris: Why, thank you so much, Allison. I was trying to think of a way to describe how engines work and you did a pretty good job. One thing I want to add is that as time went by our world made improvements upon our fuel so that the explosions grew bigger but with less amount used, thus making the space needed for it smaller. And that the same principle can be used to move wagons without horses or oxen. You just don't place the engine at the same spot since you want it to go forward and not upward. You also need a much bigger engine to move spaceships than to move wagons.

3. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Katsumi: Fascinating! So you use them to go into the stars? To other worlds?

4. Gladiolus83

Kyris: *to Katsumi* Yes. But so far we are only able to travel to the other planets circling our sun. There is research dedicated to making ships able to travel beyond it, but so far there is little success. The distance between planets is many, many thousand times bigger than between countries so travel takes time.

5. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Sapphire: What are the other planets you travel to like?

6. Gladiolus83

Kyris: Out of the nine planets in our system, there are two I have never visited. One is Hermes which became uninhabitable 500 years ago and its population scattered over the system. They have faced some discrimination for it, but that is now mostly a thing of the past. The other is Hades which become a lawless planet 100 years ago and is now the home of every pirate crew in the system. *glances at Davian and Luekas.* I guess I actually might get to see it soon, though... Anyway, Hades' natives are the tallest and physically strongest species in the system.

On Aphrodite, all plants and animals are dwarf sized, just like its dominant species. Ares is home to our system's most warring people, but they are not unreasonable. While the title of Chieftain is hereditary it doesn’t go to the oldest child but to the child who proves themself being the best warrior and tactician.

Zeus has two separate species that have divided the planet into two separate nations who easily engage in civil wars, although they are peaceful at the moment. One of the two nations has also been closed off for 500 years so little is known of its current state. Cornus is the most fertile planet in the system and has the most amazing gardens with flowers from all over the system.

Caelus has the lowest gravity in the system which makes jumping around quite fun. Well, it did back when I was a kid. Poseidon is half water and half land, so its species is amphibian. The water is also very salty making you float. The natives have no problem swimming though.

7. LastMindToSanity

Ellis: Amazing, maybe we should attempt to get to space, ourselves. Who know what we'll find out there? We should have extra time, right Mettle?

Mettle: There's still a lot we have to worry about right now. Remember, a sailor who watches the stars will never see the shore.

Allison: My mom used to say that all the time! It must be a more common phrase than I thought.

Matra: I have been curious... *To Leukas, Davian, and Jefrye.* What made you three decide to start sailing the stars, anyway?

8. Gladiolus83

Kyris: *to Mettle and Ellis* if you ever have the chance, I think you should go for it. Making new discoveries is always very interesting.

Jefrye: *to Matra* Well, in my case it wasn’t my decision. My family has been in the military for generations so it was expected of me to join as well. I was groomed for military service since childhood, just like Kyris was groomed for the role of a prince.

Luekas: *to Matra* My father was an alcoholic who used me as a punching bag whenever he felt like it. He claimed my mother died giving birth to me, but I’m not sure that is actually what happened to her. But I guess I’ll never find out the truth. Anyway, when I was fifteen years old I finally had had enough of it and ran away. I hid on a ship that turned out to be a pirate ship and when I was discovered the captain put me to work. I had nowhere else to go so I stayed on. Five years later we raided a ship leaving Gaea, and… *looks at Davian*

Davian: *to Matra* I was onboard that ship. After my father disowned me for refusing to marry the woman he’d chosen for me I left Gaea. The ship was attacked and because I still wore my hair braided in the traditional noble way, they thought I was worth ransoming. When it turned out I wasn’t the captain put me to work just like he had done with Luekas years earlier. I needed money and with nowhere else to go I remained. Until I had saved enough money to get my own ship, that is. Then when I left the crew Luekas came with me.

Kyris: *to Mettle and Ellis* On that subject, what made you two become sailors?

9. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Nithara: It seems our families are rather similar. Not in terms of work, of course, but my mother’s family has been Shanerani for generations, and my father was taken in by them as a young boy. I was born into the organization, so I’ve been trained since childhood.

10. LastMindToSanity

Mettle: Wow, I'm the same. Well, not exactly. I'm not a noble, or anything, but my parents wanted me to be a knight. Got me a really strict tutor, too.

Mettle: Money.

Ellis: Mettle.

Matra: Maybe elaborate a little more?

Mettle: Fine. I used to be a mercenary. Almost any job was good enough for me. One day, though, this guy just walks onto the docks as I'm getting ready to leave on a ferry, and tells me that he has a job lined up that would pay like I wouldn't believe. It took some convincing, but I did accept. Turns out, they also wanted Ellis to join us.

Ellis: Mettle and I sort of knew each other before joining the Corpse Voyage. I had hired him to track down some rare materials for me, and he did his job splendidly. When he turns up at my little cottage in the middle of the Witching Woods, I was far too intrigued as to why a mercenary was trying to hire me to refuse. They really only wanted me along because my dolls were invaluable to running their crewless ship, as well as keep us comfortably prepared during the job. Despite the... insulting reason they wanted my expertise, I decided they were fun enough to stay with, especially because they seemed to actually like me, and not silently scorn me. We picked up the rest of my things and continued as the Corpse Voyage from then on.

Mettle: Full disclosure, Ellis can actually fight, she just isn't very good at it. Not her skillset and all that.

*Roll returns with another doll, who looks exactly like Mettle, swords included. The new doll floats inbetween Allison and everyone else.*

Allison: Rush, you made it! *To everyone.* He's so protective and sweet. *Rush silently threatens everyone.*

*To Mettle.*
    See, he really does look just like you!

Mettle: Small world, huh?

11. LastMindToSanity

Mettle: So, you're a soldier, then? What's your position?

Matra: I'll bet she's an archer.

Ellis: No, I'm certain she's a scout, or a medic.

Allison: I'm not sure, but I feel like she already mentioned this?

12. Gladiolus83

Jefrye: *to Nithara* Did it start of as just fun and games for you as well? I was five years old when Father started teaching me how to play whouzmar. Oh, that is a really old game from Gaea where the point is reading your opponent’s movements and anticipating what they do next. Many of the tactics for that game is actually real strategies still used within the military today.

*to Mettle* If your family wanted you to be a knight and even started preparing you for it, how did you end up being a mercenary?

Davian: *to Ellis* So did they have a crew and lost it, or were you brought on from the very beginning?

Luekas: Still, I can understand how you came to feel about the crew. On the Star Raider we are basically one big family. *glances at Davian* Even if our Captain can be blind to the obvious sometimes.

Kyris: *to Rush* I understand that you just want to keep Allison safe, but I assure you that she is in no real danger here. *glances at Matra* At least not from us.

13. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Nithara: Oh—no, the Shanerani are spies, not soldiers.

Nithara: They make it into games for all the children. Yeraval used to give me little secrets, see how long I could keep them from the others. She said them like they were the most important things in the world, but they were just little things.

Ayana: They used to have me and Varaniel compete to see who could keep up the same illusion longer. (She smirks) I always won.

Nithara: Not always.

Ayana: Well, I won more than he did. He was always upset that he was losing to a human, of all things. As if magic is stored in the horns, or something.

Nithara: Yeah, he’s a real bana’sla. Not a racist these days, but still an ass.

Ayana: (shrugs) Progress is progress, right?

14. Gladiolus83

Jefrye: That actually sounds a lot like me and my cousin Rymond. We are the same age so we entered the Military Academy at the same time. And he always tried to prove that he was better than me.

Kyris: If memory serves me, he was.

Jefrye: When it came to battle tactics and strategy, yes. But when it came to marksmanship and piloting I was better.

Kyris: *chuckles* I think that might have been because his mother was more overprotective than yours. If he had gotten weapons training and flying lessons as early as you, he might have beaten you there too.

Jefrye: I doubt that. Besides, the Intelligence Division is a great fit for him.

Kyris: On that, I have to agree. He is way too good at sneaking up on people. *he pales* You think he ever saw us?

Jefrye: Well, if he did he has never said a single word about it. I think it's safe. *he looks away sadly* After all, it's not like we are still sneaking away to steal a few moments of privacy.

15. LastMindToSanity

Mettle: *The deepest sigh.* The Council is why I never became a knight. Suddenly, a few years before I was going to join the ranks, the King decides to create this little gathering of politicians known as the Council. They act mostly as advisors, but have complete control over small issues within the kingdom. Well, that's how it used to be.

Matra: Over the years, they slowly stole political power away from the King and - BAM! - our whole kingdom is run by the Council. They're as corrupt as they come: extorting money from would-be scholars; declaring military raids on completely innocent civilians; and even having people executed for crimes that the Councilmen committed. They're the absolute evil on Yara, and, if I had my way, they'd all have their heads lopped off for the things they've done.

Mettle: So, yeah. My parents didn't want me serving the Council, and neither did I. After that, the only logical way to utilize my training was as a mercenary.

Ellis: Actually, Mettle fought a pirate captain for his ship. We renamed it to the Corpse Voyage after we decided to stay as a team. It's always just been us, though.

Mettle: It's amazing what you can convince a drunk narcissist to bet when he wants you to join his pirate crew.

Allison: Oh, you don't have to worry about that. You're all good people, and Rush would never hurt you guys!

Rush: *Clicks hit swords together, looking like he would definitely hurt the others in this room.*

Matra: Ah, none of the above, I see.

Matra: What's you record? My personal best is keeping a man locked in a delirious state for two days straight. This man had a very strong will. I bet I could do the same to a lesser foe for about two weeks, if I had to.

16. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Ayana: Well, I never did it on anyone—that sort of illusion is illegal everywhere, and it can even leave a mark on the person doing it—only a few Shanerani have the will to so it, and they would never expect a child to. I once made myself invisible for three hours straight. Varaniel only lasted two. But we were young, then—I could likely keep it up for longer now.

17. LastMindToSanity

Matra: Oh, that brings back memories. It took me ages to master my invisibility spell when I was starting out. What kind of illusions do you specialize in, now that your skill has grown?

18. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Ayana: I prefer the simpler sorts. I’ve found people don’t need any insanely detailed illusion to fall for it—they just need whatever I’m trying to hide to not be conspicuous, and they’ll walk right past it. I’m also fond of sound-based illusions.

19. LastMindToSanity

Mettle: Sound illusions? Like music and voices?

Matra: A very reductive interpretation of a complex art. A proper sound isn't just a sound; it's about all of the little things. It's about all of the little noises mixed in with what you normally hear: The sound of breath that comes with talking; The scraping of leg against leg that accompanies footsteps; Even the absolute lack of sounds that brings silence. If you want to properly mimic a sound, you have to take into account every tiny thing that comes with it. I thought that you would've learned at least that from being on the same crew as Echo, or have you not been paying attention?

Ellis: Matra, don't insult my crewmate like that. I won't vouch for you if he decides to retaliate.

Mettle: For the record, we both know I could easily kill you, right?

Matra: You could try. I can cast a dozen different spells in the time it takes you to draw your swords.

Ellis: *To Ayana* Can you mimic sounds, like Echo? Or is it more you create new ones, like most other mages?

Allison: Can you recreate any song you've ever heard? Oh! What's your favorite sound?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  20. Gladiolus83

Kyris: *to Matra and Ayana* This talk bout magic is very fascinating. I wish there was a way to truly study it back home on Gaea. In your worlds, is magic something you are born with or something that you study and acquire over time?

Davian: Well, I don't see the point in something that never will exist in our world to begin with. And all this talk is starting to bore me. Perhaps the time to get back where we came from is approaching.

Kyris: That is awful. There have been times of corruption in the Helios System as well, especially on Gaea, but the last was during my grandfather's early days as Emperor. It was he who ended it for good. Is there anyone fighting against this Council? And how successful are they so far? I hope they are not planning on being as extreme as Matra, though... I think that would just be sinking to the Council's level.

Davian: Do I have this right...? Was that captain the same man as initially scouted the two of you, or did you get your own ship after your work with him? Since you didn't mention him being a pirate the first time. And what happened with the rest of his crew afterward? In any case, that drunk part just shows he was not fit to be captain in the first place.

Jefrye: Well, I think I'll keep my on him anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Kyris: *sighs* You and your mind tricks, Matra... I'm getting glad there isn't anyone like you in the Helios System. None that I have met, at least. I have made my opinion clear, but here we go again... The mind should not be tampered with, especially when that tampering starts to affect people's free will.

Davian: Guess there are times when our opinions do align, Your Highness. Not an unpleasant discovery.

21. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Ayana: I can do all of those things, yes. I mean, I can't recreate a sound that doesn't exist, but I can approximate one I haven't heard. And so long as I can remember something, I can mimic it.

*She focuses, twisting her hands around, and they begin to glow as Nithara's voice sounds--but the elf isn't speaking.*

Nithara's voice: I can even do this. Cool, isn't--

*Nithara grabs Ayana's hands, breaking her concentration.*

Nithara: Navelas, we've talked about that. Don't mimic people's voices while they're there.

Ayana: But it's fun.

Katsumi: I'm pretty sure it could be classified as psychological warfare, depending on what you make the voices say.

Ayana:

Ayana: ...yes, well, it's fun.

22. Gladiolus83

Kyris: *to Ayana* I agree with Nithara and Katsumi. Just because you find it amusing and you can do it, that doesn’t mean that you should do it.

Davian: Are you sure that isn’t just you having a poor sense of humor?

*Kyris glares silently at Davian*

Luekas: Actually, Captain, I agree with him.

Davian: Which just proves my point.

23. WritingInTheDark

WritingInTheDark Active Member

Elana: Right here, sir.

Frederick: ...What is this place?

Elana: ...I don't know, sir. And neither does Lord Astaroth. But he's certain that Cyrus was here in some fashion. He doesn't appear to be here anymore, however. I'll stand by, so please let me know when you're ready to leave.

Frederick: ...Thank you, Elana. ...Now then... I guess it's time to consult the locals. *Ahem!* ...None of you happened to see a man by the name of Cyrus Drake, did you?

24. LastMindToSanity

Matra: I am perfectly willing to sink so low. I believe Adra's metaphor was a rotting house? If the rot is moved onto myself, I will just leave and take it with me. As to your question, there may be others fighting against the council, but none that I have found.

Mettle: Oh no, that wasn't Captain Sail. I won the ship so he could have it, as we didn't have the money to buy one at the time.

Ellis: Well, I'm sure most captains would indulge in their alcohol after a successful trip. It was inside of a tavern, after all.

Matra: Well, hold on! I didn't use any mind magic on him, just illusions. It was more like how a hypnotist can force you to do a cartwheel, but with magical illusions, and not wordplay.

Allison: It still sounds pretty suspicious, Matra. Maybe you shouldn't resort to such horrible tactics.

Ellis: *Thinks for a second.* Oh, that was Councilmen Ein! I knew something changed about him, but I didn't suspect you were involved. *To Davian and Kyris* He was the Councilmen who exploited up and coming scholars by stealing research, imposing downright criminal fees, you name it.

Allison: I'm still not sure that makes torture right...

Ellis: Of course it doesn't, dear.

Matra: And you can do that whenever you want, with no need to store the sounds beforehand? I hate to say it, but I believe my magic is outclassed not only by Echo's abilities, but now your own magic, as well. I have more work to do, I guess.

Matra: It can vary from discipline to discipline. Some require a great amount of study, like my own. Others, like Adra's, only require devotion to a god and practice.

Ellis: My doll magic just happened one day. I made a seemingly random doll, and it came to life in my hands. It took another year before I could consistently animate the inanimate.

Matra: I agree with Davian, though. I believe I'm running out of curiosity. I didn't even know that could happen to me.

Allison: I don't think so. At least, I haven't met anyone named that. *Gasp* Maybe that's who knocked me out!

Ellis: I'm sure it wasn't. We haven't seen anyone besides ourselves, either. May I ask, who are you?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  25. WritingInTheDark

WritingInTheDark Active Member

Frederick: You... ...What are you, exactly? You're clearly magical, but... strange, it doesn't feel like the same sort of magic I'm used to. ...No, no, I'm getting ahead of myself. I am Frederick Dracula. Grandson of Vlad Dracula, immortal king of Detroit, and leader of the Cabal of Miracles. Cyrus Drake is my half-brother, and whatever this place is, I have it on good authority that he was here at one point. I must speak with him. He is in grave danger. He doesn't understand the kinds of monsters his parents are. They're lunatics and zealots who would put him down like a horse with a limp if he doesn't turn out to their liking, and they've somehow managed to convince him that that's normal! Please... Please, I need to find him. I need to speak with him!