Character Chatroom

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Simpson17866, Apr 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Nina (anxious but also highkey annoyed at this point) : Truman. Wonderful. You are the ruler of America—perhaps you can answer me when I ask, for the third time, if there is a land in America that they call Argentina?

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Truman:
    Directly to your question, then! :) Yes, Argentina is now a geographic region in Unified South America, or Union Del Sud as they call it. All of South America came together to try and sustain what little was left of humanity there, So individual countries were unsustainable. Individual governments never resumed again.
    I was never the Ruler of anything, though many tried to pursuade me. I became Administrator of The Dignity Law - an Overseer of Rulers, so to speak. I tried many times to surrender the authority of Full Trustee, but no one, fair or foul, would take it. It turns out that putting someone in charge of everything, for merely a day, was effective punishment for any crime.

3. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Nina: Yes, alright, you are not the ruler, but in any case, I've one more question: what language is spoken in Argentina?

4. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Shade: They speak Spanish there.

I don't know about that punishment, Truman. It sounds pretty nice to be in charge. Think about all of the things you could do...

Ann: Like letting minors go to college for robotics.

Shade: Or funding foreign aid groups to help all of the third-world countries.

Ann: Or lowering the cost of clothes!

Shade: Or making witchcraft a recognized religion!

Ann: Or making cyborg modifications legal!

Shade: Or letting people skip school to perform rituals at very specific times of the day!

Ann & Shade: Oh, I'd love to have your job...

5. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

(Nina takes a few steps back, eyes wide)

Nina: Spanish? But that means…no. No…I-I have to go. (She hurries off)

(Asiri is reacting similarly)

Asiri: I… (she swallows) I should go after her. (She follows)

6. Some Guy

Truman: I suppose I should be clear about the authority and power I wielded. It was put upon me after The Strike. It was absolute, but only in service to The Dignity Law.
    We lost 7 out of 8 people in the world, so any misstep was toward extinction. Seeker wouldn't allow it.
    I called myself Tyrant because I wouldn't accept the results of the Last Election, which resulted in the elimination of the Constitution I swore to preserve. I even put myself on trial for treason. I was found guilty, and sentenced to life as Administrator of The Dignity Law.
    Although it was an honor and privilege, It was also a sentence, and no other leader or politician would step up to take a role that included deciding to let fifty thousand die to save seventy thousand - or watch all 120 thousand die.
    Only one special garment withstood the toxic particles in the atmosphere, and it was free. Clothing was deadly to wear, and spontaneously combusted, regardless. You never saw people so happy to look completely nude, overnight! The next generation considered clothing to be a form of castration! Can you imagine that!
    Third-world countries were the salvation of mankind. Money was abolished!
    Education and technology replaced economic activity. If you had an idea, you educated yourself and pursued it at will, in accordance with The Dignity Law. Education was ongoing. Everything was ongoing!
    All religion was mandatory, in that you were given regular times and resources to pursue it, even if it was just to stand there and say you have no religion. Free speech. Dissent. Transparent government. Access to government and Public information. All were mandatory! That last one was a little too free for my liking, thanks to the nano-cloud.
    Robotics and Cybernetics! You have no idea what a fantastic turn it took with Mag-Moeba! Rescue. Treatment. Bio-mechanics. Security. Medicine. Entertainment!!

7. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

Elsie: Oh, my goodness! We understand, you're a long-suffering ruler of a blissful utopia, where everything became perfect overnight for the sake of humanity! We should pity you, because you hated your job so, and-

Cecilia: Elsie, stop being unkind! He's a world leader, you can't be rude to him!

Ophelia: I still have some concerns. If money was abolished, how could you make sure everything was traded fairly?

Vanna: Well, things aren't traded fairly now. Even in the 21st century, there are farmers in Africa breaking their backs for the equivalent of a few measly pennies.

Ophelia: Well, at least we know how much they earn, so we know they aren't getting a fair deal!

Henrietta: Father spends many hours at work with his staff. Surely you weren't ruling America alone? And of course, I am certain that you had help from other rulers?

Jasmine: So you put yourself on trial? And you found yourself guilty? Why would you do that?

Elsie: Because he's trying to be a martyr.

Vanna: Elsie! Anyway, my question is, how do you account for human nature? I get that everything had to be shared evenly, but surely at least some people would have wanted to take more than that? Did you abolish prisons as well?

Rose: Those other girls have disappeared very quickly. Wherever have they gone?

Paula: They're very mysterious. You get used to them not answering your questions. I suppose they have some motivation that they don't want to talk about.

Charlotta: And the little princess seems to have been barred from the room! Such a pity. I wanted to ask her some questions.

Vanna: I was pretty interested in the Lady Jane Grey dress. Why her in particular? Kind of an ill-fated heroine. Anyway, can't be helped. Ann, I'm sure your cooking is great.

Jasmine: And to prove it, can I have some of that fudge?

8. LastMindToSanity

Ann: Of course you can! I promise that the things I make are delicious!

Shade: Hold on, I'm gonna grab the stomach pump.

Ann: Shade, why are you being so mean?! *Smirks and leans towards him* Are you worried that the world leader is cooler than you are? Trying to flex your big boy attitude?

Shade: No, I just value the health of these innocent people.

Ann: You're obvious inferiority aside, if that's post-apocalypse, then it sounds wonderful... Do you think we could go to wherever Truman is?

Shade: Not sure. Maybe we could ask Lumis or Angel?

Ann: Maybe not Lumis, she's too unavailable. I'll go find Angel, then! *Goes to leave, stops, turns, and shoves the fudge into Shade's arms.* Here, hand this out to whoever wants it until I get back! *Runs off.*

Shade: Ann, wait! I'm not gonna- You can't just... *Sigh* Fine. come get some if ya want it. *Sits down and eats some.* So, there's some crazy kids and a president in here. *To Vanna's group.* What's it like being the only normal people here?

9. EstherMayRose

Vanna: Define "normal". I mean, I'm a time-traveller, we have witches, and some of those 18th-century girls are members of a royal family.

Henrietta: You're being awfully mean to Ann, you know. You ought to apologise.

Jasmine: And I really would like some of that fudge. I've never eaten peanut butter.

10. LastMindToSanity

Shade: A time-traveller and witches? I'm into witchcraft as much as the next guy... or girl, I guess, but you probably shouldn't pretend like magic is actually real. It's just some fun hobby you pretend to do when you're bored. Same goes for time travel. About Ann, you might see it as mean, but that's just how we work. We don't actually mean the things we say, it's just fun. Ann's actually getting pretty good at this. *Passes the fudge to Jasmine.* Here you go. Knock yourselves out.

Where'd all you guys come from, anyways? This whole place is pretty weird.

11. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

(Nina and Asiri are in the corner, speaking over each other in Quechua. Occasionally they’re just flat-out yelling, but mostly not.)

(Meanwhile…)

Sapphire: You practice witchcraft? Will you not be burnt for such crimes?

12. Bluedango

Bluedango Member

Fio: You burn people? We're too few to afford losing a pair of working hands over a petty offense.

Clare: That's when they send you to... detention.

Fio: Its not as bad as it sounds.
    [Mags makes her way onto Fio's lap.]

Clare: Boss says its either that or the boot.

Fio: People can come and go as they please but there's almost nothing out there, or... or so I've heard. It must be lonely out there...
    [Mags reaches up and she gently pats Fio's cheek.]

13. LastMindToSanity

Shade: What kind of backwards city sets you on fire for doing rituals and stuff? It's not like it'll do anything, anyways.

Terra: I wouldn't be so sure, Shade. There's some things you just don't mess with...

*The man looks like an older, male version of Lumis. He's very big and buff.*

Shade: Pfft. Maybe if magic and stuff was actually real.

Terra: Fio, you ever think that there might be more out there than you think? Or, think of it this way. What if there's nothing out there because no one wants to try and make something of it.

Shade: What's detention like with you kids? It sucks for us. We have to sit at our desks for three hours straight and listen to Mr. Ryker lecture us on the "Benefits of Being the Best You Can Be." It's basically torture.

Terra: Nah, it isn't that bad. You can actually learn a lot from Ryker- I mean, Mr. Ryker, if you just pay attention to him.

14. NoItsBecky

NoItsBecky Senior Member

Sapphire: They say witchcraft is of the devil. Of course, I take that with a grain of salt, as they say the same of me. Still, to practice witchcraft is to sentence yourself to death.

15. EstherMayRose

Vanna: If time travel isn't real, then how did I get on a train in 2014 and get off it in 1934? And since I have spoken to many, many people in both years, you can't tell me I'm making it up. If magic isn't real, then how was Ophelia able to bring me here?

Ophelia: Sapphire is of a different time than you, Shade, as you can probably tell from her clothing. Humans don't believe in witchcraft any more, as this fellow demonstrates. The Witchcraft Act, which made it illegal to report someone for witchcraft, meant that Witchcraft was officially decriminalised in Great Britain. It came into effect on the 24th June 1735, and since then, the 24th June has been a holiday for witches.

Vanna: I was so confused when Ophelia asked if I was celebrating on a seemingly random day. Anyway, in the 21st century, they don't even execute people any more. Last executions in Britain were in 1965, if my dates are correct. Anyway, you have three-hour detentions? In the UK they just keep you for ten minutes or so, at break or lunchtime. At boarding school, of course, they have more freedom, so they can keep you doing stuff for hours. The Kindergarteners don't have to do their own mending; the matron does it. Or as I discovered when I got put in detention, some poor soul from the main school does it.

16. LastMindToSanity

Terra: Shade, can you do me a favor?

Shade: What's up?

Terra: Can you go grab Lumis for me? I wanted to talk to her.

Shade: Huh? Sure, just a sec. I'll be right back. I don't know what you mean by 21 century, or 1934 or 2014 or whatever, so I want you to tell me all about it when I get back!

*Leaves. As soon as he's gone, Lumis appears next to Terra.*

Lumis: These guys're fine. I talked to Arc about it.

Terra: Good to know. So, you're a time-traveler, Vanna? Can you do it at will, or do you need a machine for it?

Lumis: Witchcraft, as in real magic? Not an ability? What kind of things can you do?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  17. Some Guy

Truman: Seeker observed and recorded absolutely everything. Imagine your grandmother standing over you while you think about stealing a cake from the table - it ain't gonna happen. Now imagine an AI evolved to use everything in the world, including the world itself, to process what it records. Vanna was right. People made economics fail. Money went up in flames with clothing and paper, if we didn't burn it just to keep warm. It just never came back.
    Seeker knew where everything was; people, resources, food, water. There wasn't any trade. The land was re-forested and communites were established where resources could sustain them. Survivors were evacuated to resources, not to shelters, they created their permanent sustenance and community. Seeker displayed the 'where' and 'how' for everything they needed, but they were the makers of their future.

Seeker made it possible for everyone in the world to be my advisor at the same time. I had Delegate Trustees to work with, and we helped each other keep our humanity in administration.
    Every government on every continent fell, as you would expect after being flattened. I had to intervene frequently, but massive Continental Republics formed quickly, under my advocacy.
    There were no conflicts for very long. If you distracted yourself from attaining sustenance, you literally died out.
    Seeker assisted any that accepted The Dignity Law, and yes, some former rulers became Delegate Trustees.

I wanted out, which is why I was best qualified. Ironic isn't it? The Last Supreme Court found me guilty - with dissent. It was my last official avenue to step down. Instead I was sentenced to Community Service! The magnitude of moral responsibility was unfathomable. I tried to commit suicide - that didn't work either, dammit!

This is key:
    In its oblivious stupidity, mankind created and unleashed an abomination upon itself - the nano-gen. Seeker had to evolve just to hold them back from shutting down every human brain in the world. It was the only reason it perpetuated its existence - to keep us from extinction. If it stopped this interference in a person - rapid degeneration. Death.
    From this fate, Suppression was born - the ability to selectively un-interfere with a mind.
    Dangerous acts were inhibited. War? Futile anyway, but you would lose the strength to hold a weapon. Crime? Grandma said No. You'll never lay a hand on that cake.

BUT - someone, a delegate, a person, will be right along to make sure you get a piece of that cake. Someone will come to talk to you about your conflict - across the table, or across the world!
    There were no prisons, police, or courts. People got their justice right where they stood, before the very world, transparent and accountable.
    There were no possessions, no pockets, no cupboards. Nothing to steal.

But - there. was. LEISURE!! Right from the start!
    We lived and worked and supported each other for Leisure Credits!! Leisure Time!! Time to write! Time for music! All kinds of En-ter-tain-ment!! Any creative pursuit! *spreads arms wide* PLAY!!

Challenge me! You worked your 3-day week. You did your volunteer day. What would you do for three days?
    C'mon! Anything? *grins*

18. LastMindToSanity

Lumis: I think I'd just sleep through it all. I'd only wake up to eat, then I'd sleep again.

Terra: Dunno, maybe read a book? I guess I could go around the city and just hang out. That's hard, I've never had three days of free time before.

19. Bluedango

Bluedango Member

Mags: Clare-Clare! Pie! Blued Mango Pie! Gimme!

Clare: Fufu~ You must pay the toll, oh Magsie the smol.

Mags: A... A troll?

Clare: We ran out of supplies ages ago, buddy. That's why we din't show any ingredients on our show. I... I failed you.
    [Clare flops down on top of Mags.]

Fio: Why not ask the middle-aged ghost for food-

Clare: I can already see him offering a fully stocked fridge with a smug look on his... ghost-face.

Fio: I know you didn't have a single shred of humility left in you the moment you shamelessly barged into this place uninvited and mocked the unfortunate passersby, but starving to death because... Oi.
    [Fio pokes Clare's head with a stick]

Clare: Unless if we recreate the whole Citadel Canopy system I ain't cookin' nuffin anytime soon, Magsie.
    [Mags gasps! She wriggles her way out of Clare's clutches and she rushes off to the lawn and begins tilling the soil of questionable quality.]

Fio: Its just a fancy name for a glorified rooftop garden. And you can't cook.

Clare: Nay. You townsfolk type can never appreciate the Great Frontier's glorious innovations that make your lives easy, that's why you grow fat and complaisant. Except Magsie, its just baby fat.
    [Clare tosses a bag of seeds onto Fio's face with the last ounce of her hubris.]

Fio: Fine! Maggie! Roll up your sleeves! You're digging in too deep- ARGH! Just gimme me the shovel!
    [Clare groans in her self-imposed exile inside the tent]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  20. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Portia: Where am I? What just 'appened to me?

21. IzzIsAnAuthor

IzzIsAnAuthor New Member

Jonathan: So, want to tell me why you wanted to bring me into this, Carter?

Carter: A lack of proper socialization amongst peers can result in depression and antisocial behaviors such isolation, mute voice, tendency to say no to engagements--

Steph: Talking on the internet is already a lack of proper socialization, Carter.

Carter: No duh, but it's better than letting you two hide in Johnny's room reading about exorcisms.

Jonathan: SOMEONE has to get rid of the demons in this world, Carter.

Carter: You already have an effective exorcism for that, it works fine. You got that demon out of Steph, even after he tore your wing.

Steph: Perks of being best friends with an angel.

Jonathan: SHHH! *Whispered* They don't need to know.

Steph: I mean, uh... HEY, DID YOU KNOW CARTER IS A GIRL AND I'M A GUY, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND?

Carter: I thought that was obvious.

Jonathan: Well, Carter is more of a guys name, and Steph is usually short for Stephanie.

Steph: Thanks for the nickname then, Johnny.

Jonathan: Whoops :p

Carter: My name is Caterina, and Steph's name is Stephen.

Steph: And Johnny's name is Jonathan.

Jonathan: They know. That's what I set my name as.

Steph: ...Listen, I can't read.

Carter: Or fight demons very well.

Jonathan: Or think very well.

Steph: Okay listen here you assholes--

22. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

Jason: I'm confused. The hell are y'all doin'?

23. IzzIsAnAuthor

IzzIsAnAuthor New Member

Carter: I can explain. You see, a person with a pseudonym of their choosing has requested that multiple people--

Jonathan: I don't think that's what he meant, Carter.

Steph: And you guys call me dumb one...

24. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Portia: ‘Ello? Can you... see me? Am I dreamin’?

25. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

Jason: Far as I know, we're fuckin trippin', bud.