Character Creation

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by GrJs, May 26, 2018.

1. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

That's all way too complicated for me. Here's how I create characters. And I usually do this as I'm writing my rough draft, but they also can be done before hand.

1. What is the character's role in the story? And that's much simpler than occupation. Are they a protagonist? Are they the antagonist? Are they best friend to the protagonist? Characters who have the exact same role, or no role at all, tend to be very difficult to make a distinct personality for.

2. What is the character's goal? You can't go anywhere with your characters if you don't know where they're going. Now, goals can, and should, change later as a character's priorities change. But there has to be some kind of priority to begin with.

3. What is a character's motive? Why do they want what they want. This is where I'm going to get into my character's actual back story. This is where I'm also going to flesh out the setting, because I have to figure out what kind of world can shape this person to be who they are.

4. What is the character's conflict? What is keeping them from achieving what they want?

Note, I haven't done anything with what the character actually looks like yet and I've only really done crumbs of their personality.

5. What is the character's reputation? Do they have a reputation? This is how the character is viewed to other people. This is not necessary for all stories. Short stories aren't going to need to go into this. Some novels don't need to go into this.

6. How does the character view themselves? Three of your questions on your sheet can be knocked off just by answering this one question.

Beyond this, it's entirely now up to the plot to tell the readers who the character is. That's actually why I don't like those character sheets. They are written often times independent to the plot and don't really answer how the plot will help grow this character or how this character will influence events in the story.

Once I've written the first draft to the story, I do a check. These following things have to happen:

1. Within the story, does my character have moments where they have made irrevocable decisions. These are decisions the character cannot go back on. In a Series of Unfortunate Events an example of an irrevocable decision was when the orphans decide that instead of entrusting themselves to a system that continuously failed them, they will set out on their own. This was extremely pivotal and it's marked by the format of the books drastically changing. And these decisions can be for better or for worse.

2. Has my character's values been challenged? One of things that makes Batman so intriguing is that he has this absolute "no kill" policy. He decided that all life is precious and therefore will never take a life. When faced with murderous psychopaths like the Joker and Two-Face, it becomes difficult for Batman to follow this rule. Especially since the world would be so much better if these villains weren't in it. If your character never has values challenged, there's no point.

3. Does my character change? This is so important. The biggest problem with Bella Swan is that she never changes as far as personality. Your character can't be the same person at the beginning of the journey then the end.

Again, nothing about looks. I normally don't add looks until well into the story.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX

CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX Member

Personally, I prefer backstories. They tell you more about why the MC became who he is. That plus a character arc you want in the book. 49 pages is a book in itself. Can you put all those things in your story? For me, a backstory gives me a sense of development rather than a fact sheet that can be dry.

For example, if an MC is bitter because a girl hurt him, thinking about the broken love story and the girl who did it will give you a sense of who the new love interest should be. Someone who looks like the girl who hurt him or someone completely different. If you know the backstory, you can create a set up with the new interest with the MC's thoughts and memories that will have a different feel. We are all triggered by our past, so if you can get a feel of that past, it will help you write about the present.
    Good Luck.

Leanne and Kalisto like this.