1. CrystalDreamer59

CrystalDreamer59 Active Member

Character Name That Means Mischievous

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CrystalDreamer59, Jan 17, 2014.

I like to give my characters names that fit them and I was thinking of a name that means mischievous for the antagonist other then the name Loki since that seems obvious. If no one can think of a name of a name that means mischievous I was thinking of using a name that means dark instead. Any one have any suggestions. If so show me a link to the meaning of the name so I can make sure the meaning of the name means mischievous.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

In Spanish, mischievous or troublemaker is travieso (trah-VYEH-so) or traviesa for a girl. ;0 Perhaps some permutation of that? In Russian, it's непослушный, (nye-po-SLU-shnee) but that's mouthful. :p

3. CrystalDreamer59

Thanks by the way I forgot to mention the character is male.

4. CrystalDreamer59

Oh I just looked up travieso and it's more of a last name then first so I'll use that as a last name I think.

5. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I'm looking here: http://www.behindthename.com

ALVIN
    USAGE: English
    PRONOUNCED: AL-vin [key]
    Meaning & History
    From a medieval form of any of the Old English names ÆLFWINE, ÆÐELWINE or EALDWINE. It was revived in the 19th century, in part from a surname which was derived from the Old English names.

ÆLFWINE
    USAGE: Anglo-Saxon
    Meaning & History
    Derived from the Old English elements ælf "elf" and wine "friend". The name was not commonly used after the Norman conquest.
    Related Names

BARRETTmEnglish
    From a surname meaning "dispute" in Middle English, originally given to a quarrelsome person.
    I didn't find anything that means mischievous or any of it's synonyms, so I'm perusing manually.

WILEY
    USAGE: English
    PRONOUNCED: WIE-lee [key]
    Meaning & History
    From a surname which was derived either from a place name meaning "temple clearing" in Old English or from a nickname meaning "wily, tricky" in Middle English.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  6. CrystalDreamer59

I've heard of behind the name. I guess I could do a search there. And that's okay you haven't found anything yet.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Instead of actual name origins, consider names that use double meaning or literary association to carry your message. Whit (short for Whitney) would be an example of the former. Puck (which could be a nickname from a surname) is an example of the latter. So is Nick, but a bit more subtle (Old Nick is a term for the Devil).

8. CrystalDreamer59

Right now I am thinking of the name Colby (which means dark) Travieso for the name of the antagonist. However since I am only working on the rough draft of the story it could change.