1. Abysmal

Abysmal New Member

Character Quirks List?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Abysmal, Jan 20, 2023.

Currently, I'm writing up a bunch of characters and the way to help me create them is by giving them a bunch of quirks. I can think of a few, but I always like to have a list in front of me to make sure I'm not missing anything. Does anyone have any resources or know anywhere I can look for a list of different character quirks?

2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

A quirk can almost be anything, some subtle detail about your character that makes them unique or stand out, but it should be something relevant to the story, like the way Columbo does his thinking with his cigar.

This webpage might be of some help:

250+ Character Quirks for Believable Characters

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Be careful. I had a piece rejected from a total dream publication because in the end they said it was too quirky. This was a character driven piece. It made it to the final editorial meeting. The editor told me I could resubmit it if I toned down the quirkiness, but I didn't really know how to do that. That being said, I do love some quirkiness and I have published some other stories where there are definitely quirky characters. I think you want to be thinking about stories around the characters that have some quirkiness rather than a list that really won't amount to anything without having a story anyway. And you've said you got some down. Are those ones not working out for you in story form? Just wondering so maybe I can help you out better.

4. oraxa

oraxa Member

Currently Reading::
    A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Housseini
    It's pretty much just anything that makes the character unique or stand out from the rest of your other characters.