Character Quirks: Share something odd about yourself

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Iain Aschendale, Apr 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

And here you leave the stove, dishwasher and fridge but usually never the washing machine or dryer...

Strange cultural differences. :)

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There are two spots to either side of a covered back porch in the backyard where rain runoff from the upper terrace of the house makes for heavy cascade of water when it rains in earnest. If the rain comes on a really hot day (as is the norm), the water is quite warm. I use that runoff to take a midday shower when opportunity permits. It's wonderful.

Seraph751 likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

It's amazing what a different water quantity makes. Even going from a low-flow showerhead to a regular one is huge, and then if you go all the way to a "rainfall" style it's another big jump. But getting to use runoff water? All the intensity, none of the guilt about wasting water! Nice.

Wreybies likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

And I'm quite fastidious, so the upper terrace is always spotless. I never feel like the water is dirty. And it may be purely psychological (and if it is, that's perfectly fine with me), but I just feel so much cleaner using the rainwater. My skin feels softer. Best thing is, since the house is up on a hill and there's an acre of woods to one side and a steep drop off to the other, no one can see who isn't trying very hard to see, and if they're trying that hard, well, it's just a wiener. :whistle:

Seraph751 and Cave Troll like this.
  5. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

I cannot, for the life of me, stand onions, the taste, the texture, I find them gross!

But my bf likes them, so there's a bag of chopped frozen ones in the freezer so I can quickly fry them up when he wants them in something.

6. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I use A5 notebooks to handwrite my drafts. The less confidence I have with a story I'm embarking on (usually experimental or ceding to pantserism) the later I'll start it in my notebook. When I do this, and say begin more than half way through the pad, I'll also write right-to-left, not the words (that'd be just silly) the page order.

It's so that anyone peering in uninvited won't immediately see it or at least suffer some mild confusion and abandon the intrusion..

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I can touch-type my name using only my left hand.

With the result that one particular log-in enforces FIRSTNAME_SURNAME means that I have to change to the right hand for the underscore...GRRRRR.

8. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I knew an old retired Marine who could two-finger touchtype, 1950s reporter style, faster and more accurately than I could ever do with both hands. Smoked unfiltered Parliaments too, just to complete the image.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

To me, touch-typing is using the home keys, and all the "correct" fingers to hit the keys. Anything else is hunt-and-peck. And you may be able to hunt-and-peck at one heck of a speed and accuracy, but it's still hunt-and-peck. My point being that all the letters of my name are on the left-hand side of the keyboard.

Many years ago, my wife operated a telex. One day, one of the guys wanted his telex sending now, and fast; he could type (he claimed, and we have no reason to doubt it) at 120 wpm thanks to his journalistic past. One problem; the telex was limited - by how fast the mechanics would move - to (I think) 72 wpm. Go too fast and you'll lock it up. In those circumstances, it's faster to maintain just below the speed limit!

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, sorry, I agree with your definition of touch-typing, just Lloyd could no-look "hunt" and peck at speeds that you'd have to see to believe. Nice info about the telex!

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I can do anywhere from 55-72ish wpm, just depends on my mood. Granted
    at the high end I have seen people do as much as 150-160 wpm. :p

As for quirks, I like women of all sizes within reason. As long as they look
    like a woman, and not an A-morphous blob. Though I tend to lean more
    towards the curvier ladies. ;)

flawed personality likes this.
  12. samcifica

samcifica New Member

I wouldn't go in public without a fringe covering at least part of my forehead for the longest time... probably had something to do with skin as a teenager, but the habit persisted for a while.

Even if I'm hungry, I'll usually wait until I feel like reading/watching something to actually cook food. Can't do much else while eating, and it drives me nuts to just eat without something to focus on.

Laurus likes this.
  13. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

My weird thing (one of many), since @Night Herald just inadvertently reminded me talking about R.L. Stine books - I'm afraid of fun house mirrors at carnivals. Really.

Night Herald and Simpson17866 like this.
  14. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

It's OK, fear is just nature's way of saying that something is about to kill you ;)

Seraph751 and Trish like this.
  15. Trish

Exactly. No fun house mirrors for me. Or spiders (except wolf spiders and tarantulas because they're oddly cute).

Simpson17866 likes this.
  16. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

I am deathly afraid of bears.

17. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I'd say that falls more into common sense than character quirks. :D

Trish, Simpson17866 and rktho like this.
  18. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

19. BayView

I have a completely ridiculous level of over-confidence regarding my ability to fight a bear (and win). I mean, I'm pretending, for the purposes of this post, that I know it's over-confidence and I realize, deep down, that I can't fight a bear and win. But really? Deep, deep down? I know I could kick a bear's ass.

Black bear, not grizzy. A grizzy would be tricker. But black bears better know better than to mess with me. (And, so far, they HAVE known better. Interesting.)

Seraph751 likes this.
  20. Trish

Fearing bears is why you always have someone with you in the woods. Either someone stronger that can actually win, like @BayView or someone who's slower than you, because then... well... you don't have to outrun the bear :rolleyes:

21. BayView

Okay, related point... I mean, not CLOSELY related, but a little related...

I think there's a cultural pattern of thinking of the woods as scary. In horror movies, the woods are dark and looming, etc.

But for me, the woods have always seemed like a safe place where a wise person would go to take shelter from the dangerous world.

Possibly this is because I spent a lot of time in forests as a child, possibly it's because I'm an introvert and don't like being "exposed" in open fields or wherever, possibly it's because my dominion over all forest creatures, ursine or otherwise, makes me essentially invincible in the woods... I'm not sure. But I think it may qualify as a quirk!

22. Trish

I also feel perfectly at home in the woods, and while I'm not going to walk right up to a bear, I respect them more than fear them. Although there was that one time I chased one, so I don't know. Maybe I'm more like you and think I can take on anything (or at least bears), lol

BayView likes this.
  23. BayView

Bears are cruising on their reputations alone. They really aren't that tough.

rktho and Trish like this.
  24. Trish

Exactly. I have a picture of one somewhere that got it's head stuck in my mom's bird food bucket. My step dad had to go pull it off it's head. NOT scary.

rktho and BayView like this.
  25. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Gummy Bear.jpg