1. DemonKing

DemonKing Member

Character quote ideas

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DemonKing, Jul 18, 2017.

ok so in the story I'm righting in one chapter the main character has to fight his bounty hunting father. Who of witch they don't get alon becose he is a bad guy (killed a few people and other bad guy stuff) and so at the end of the chapter he has his father on the ground with a gun pointed at him and his father says "you won't shoot, because your not me and you won't stop to my level" thinking he's got this in the bag. it's then the main character shoots him in the head. His crew is conserved because he had been chasing revenge for so long. But he plays it off as a big relief. One of his crew members later walks into his quarters to find him drinking from a old bottle of whisky and asks him "was it worth it?" And its from there I'm stuck I want to make the main character say somthing deep something kida sad but I'm drawing a blank. So Any ideas what the main character should say to his crew member.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

It seems like you're more looking for a cool, quotable pine than a genuine character moment. I'd start from there.

Does the character think it was worth it? Given who is he, is he likely to express this emphatically or be more at peace with it now that it's over? Or does he have doubts? Would he admit it if so, or brush it off and put up a facade of certainty? Or is he certain now that he's made a mistake? Would he admit to that, or filter it through doubt? Does he even know what he's feeling? Is he just numb? Does he want to say anything at all?

I have a revenge-obsessed character who finally gets the object of his attention, tortures him, and orders his death. Even as it's happening, he knows that it's wrong, but backing down means that the previous ~10 years of his life were for nothing. For the same reason, he can't admit afterwards that he's fucked up - he pretends to everyone (including himself) that he's fine and proud of himself, and the pent up guilt and shame tends to come out as aggression.

I'd suggest thinking less about a line and more about what's going on in your character's head. It's a complicated emotional state, if you want it to be, and it doesn't have to be summed up with a line.

The saddest thing could ultimately be a "Yes."

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"Shit yeah its good whisky"

4. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

'It was necessary.'

5. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

"When I nail that down, I'll let you know."

DemonKing likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

You say he's 'playing it off' which tells me that he regrets his decision. Something like "More than I thought it could be." But then he takes another swig and internally reflects on the fact that you can't kill a monster without becoming a little bit of a monster yourself.

DemonKing likes this.
  7. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

The important thing here is, what kind of whiskey, I wouldn't just drink anything.