1. Jen Littlest-hobo

Jen Littlest-hobo New Member

Harrogate, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom

character research

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jen Littlest-hobo, Oct 9, 2012.

Hi all,
    I'm currently a student and would like to write a book for this years project. My question is this, I would like to write something in the crime/horror genre and was just wondering which was the best (if any) way to research a character? I don't come into contact with many serial killers and just wanted to know whether I could interview a serial killer in jail? or if I should interview a psychologist? Or if I should just read a lot from that genre.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

Best thing to do, in all honesty, is look at some criminal justice books on the subject. Serial Killers come in two catagories, an organized killer who plans everything out meticulously, hunts his/her victims away from home, and tends to have a ritual and will dump bodies in a general area. An unorganized killer tends to be wilder, not as much planning and he/she tends to kill in the general area of their homes because that's where they're comfortable.

Then you have sex based serial killers, so there's a ton on it. I have a 180+ page typed article on my laptop from violent crime scene investigation on my laptop about sex based murders. As for the idea that serial killers are smarter then most people, that's only moderately right. Some are and some aren't. And the fallacy that's presented that a particular race (ie Caucasian or African american) are the only one's who've committed it is just that a fallacy. All races and both genders have had examples of serial killers so one can be either sex or any race also.

On a side note, I've seen Chris Farley's drug overdose scene, Curt Corbain's suicide pics, and the Ron Goldman/Nicole Simpson pics also. If anyone needs to know anything about how to describe a crime scene or how it's investigated, just drop me a PM.

3. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

I would hope not!

Paul Bernardo is in a jail a few hours away from me, he has visitation rights and a mailing address. I imagine he has lots of time to read and respond to letters sent to him. What I know from watching prison documentaries is that inmates have a limited amount of time for face to face visits each month, and the inmate has to agree to your meeting. Bernardo is actually a popular guy with the ladies so it might be hard to get an interview with him.

It might take a lot of work, but its totally possible to get an interview with one of these scum.

4. Pink-Angel-1992

Pink-Angel-1992 Active Member

If possible, I'd say all would be a good idea. reading book in the genre (or watching them) can inspire you and help you know how to right the stories; if you get stuck, you have something to run to. Talking with a psychologist and serial killers themselves, would help you to understand their minds - help you to great a realistic character. Although, how you'd go about talking to a serial killer, I don't know (and who says they'll actually talk to you?) and same goes for a psychologist, but I'd imagine the latter to be easier.

Have you ever seen Criminal Minds? It's a TV program and I think it's a good show. It's about profilers who are called in to help catch criminals, serial killers, rapists etc. They look at things in the case and try to get into the criminals mind, to learn more about them, so that they can build up a profile that's as accurate as it can be. It might be of interest and help to you.