1. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

Characters' Ages and Romance

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by The Hollow, Aug 25, 2012.

I myself when I first started writing it didn't even think this was inappropriate. But since the only person I've actually spoken to about what I'm writing does, I figure I'd better seek some more feedback on it to break the 50/50 tie.

The only issue is the ages of my characters. They're 13 and 14. It's a YA novel. I don't know if 13-14 is a children's or YA audience, but the story itself is definitely YA because there is some light romantic tension between the two main characters. You know, just hugging and kissing (not snogging or making out - kissing) and looking intensely into each others' eyes and all that. No sex. Ever.

I have been told that such behaviors are too mature for the ages of the characters and that their ages should be raised to at least 15 and 16. I have really grown attached to my characters being just as they are, but I don't know if young people having a serious love for each other is an outrageous issue or not.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

No, this sound okay.

Sex in ya novels has been around since the 70's and it's been carefully watched ( and as far as I'm concerned needs to be -
    though wish they'd scrutinize the violence with such dedication ) and it's usually more a question on how the author
    handles the issue than the issue itself. Anything exploitive, tasteless, or gratitous wouldn't go over too well with publishers.

But what you've described sounds fine.

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm having the same problem as well, only my characters in question are 14 and 16.

But Peach is right. If it's handled well, then it's good.

4. The Hollow

The Hollow New Member

Thanks. Maybe she was just being a prude or something.

5. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

That sounds tame enough for a YA novel. There are plenty of kids who start dating at that age, even if it's only for like a week or two. Like the others have said, if it's handled well, it shouldn't be a problem.

If you get the chance, I'd recommend checking out the movie Moonrise Kingdom - the story revolves around two twelve-year-olds who decide that they're in love and want to run away together. It was handled really well, and their relationship is really cute and sweet, nothing too dramatic. :)

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's ok for the lower age half of YA... sad to say, many american kids today are actually having sex at those ages and even earlier...