Characters without surnames

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by mashers, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

I find, in real life, I end up giving my full name or surname out frequently to taxi drivers, in fast food places, reservations, at interviews, when exchanging phone numbers/email/social media, etc. Some of my characters go by their surname instead of their forename (or both interchangeably depending on company) just as some people do in real life.

I don't have full names planned for all my characters. But when it is more appropriate for the character to be addressed by their full name or a name that differs from the one I've been using in the narrative then I'll make one up then.

2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I occasionally introduce myself as Howard Bell in real life just because it's more memorable and impactful than my real name. Plus, if they get the reference we're generally automatic BFFs.

3. Vanthu

Vanthu Member

I would say it's strange, but it's up to you. I always give my characters full names. There's only two characters out of the probably hundreds I've had that I purposely didn't give a last name. With the first, nobody knows his real name, but he probably does have a full name. The second is just a figment of the protagonist's imagination.