Tags:
  1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Charismatic Villain

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Killer300, May 28, 2011.

Okay, I need help, a lot of help for this one. I need tips on how to write a charismatic villain, an extremely charismatic villain. Like, would make Hitler look bad levels. How is this character a villain? She's an extreme eugenicist who seeks to make the "perfect" human. Her ideals are quite different than those of Hitler though, hers isn't sexist, for obvious reasons, and her racism works differently. She doesn't care what ethnicity people are, but she does humans value above the aliens to an extreme, and seeks to destroy all alien/human hybrids who exist in the populace. So instead of Jews she has aliens, and alien/human hybrids. She also, like Hitler in this case, seeks to kill all the mentally disabled, physically disabled, and those openly mentally ill, the last refers to schizophrenics.
    So... how do I make her charismatic? How do I write that? For that matter, how does one write charisma? Need help on this.

2. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

Charisma? She must have good reasons and a good way to present them to the people, so people will listen to her.

That's the way it worked for Hitler, he spoke very well and said a lot of things that the germans wanted to hear in those days.

3. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Hmm, that does present lots of possibilities. One of the keys for Hitler was he had so many scapegoats, so my Hive can fulfill that(which is a cybernetic consciouness that isn't understood very well. That we formed by what are called Neo-Communists.)

4. katica

katica New Member

I don't know everything, but I hope my ideas will help! This is how I, personally would write this.

If you can, when you introduce her, do not start with how violent she is. Start with how generous she is, beautiful, and kind to everyone she approves of. Then all of a sudden, when the audience doesn't expect it and is convinced that she's a kind and wonderful person, have her do something violent and sick and brush it off as if it were a good thing.

Have her be kind to the main character (even if he/she disapproves of everything she does) and even assist the main character sometimes and tolerate him. Have her almost have a split personality of kindness and also getting rid of the parts of society she deems as bad.

Have her treat the people she's about to get rid of extremely kindly before she kills them. Like cook them any dinner they want, dress them in a fancy dress, throw them a party and then all of a sudden in the middle of it, they are drinking poison or something and die. And then have her give them nice funerals and say how sad it is that they had to die with a cold expression on her face.

Have her throw lavish parties and give beautiful speeches. Have her dress nicely. Give her a family whom she loves and cares for more deeply and kindly than the average mother in reality does.

Give her a past that gives her a good motivation of why she does this. Make the readers sympathize with the character when they read about her past.

Make her cry out of love for her people. Make it so that she believes that deep down inside she's helping these individuals by killing them. Have her give reasons as to how killing these people is actually a service to them.

Have her kiss babies and help some of the other helpless (like the poor and things.) Show imaginary stastics (in this world) as to how doing these things (but in a way that suspends people's disbelief) is actually helping this world.

But make sure that through this whole thing she is also extremely cruel when she's executing her judgements and extremely heartless, so the readers feel conflicted. Where people beg her for their lives and she cries and says,"I'm sorry, but this must be done." Her face hardens and she's able to even eat if she's in the middle of it when people are killed.

So on and so forth. LOL. You really inspired my imagination.

5. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Ah, yeah, thought so with the backstory part. I'm more wondering how to show charisma, but you will be happy to know I was thinking a lot of that stuff.

6. dianableu

dianableu New Member

I think that one thing to keep in mind is that people like this do not see themselves as being evil people. Hitler loved his dogs and he loved children. All of the children of his friends called him Uncle. He viewed himself as a 'nice guy' and that's where part of his charisma came from.

You don't always get a creepy feeling from evil people. If someone is trying to hide who they are, you will get a creepy feeling, but someone who thinks that they are perfectly alright will not give you that feeling, at least not people who they do not intend to harm.

Of course, after the novel moves on, then you will have to gradually start showing disturbing behavior. Like maybe she suddenly loses her temper and does something cruel. You know...the usual. But I think the key is that if you get a glimpse of how the character views herself, you will be able to write a more believable character.

Something to think about anyway.

7. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

There's a piece of archival footage of Hitler at his home with friends, and there's a little kid that has probably only recently started walking, and it's, like, stumbling/running away from him. Cutest thing ever, considering that Hitler caused so much death.

8. dianableu

dianableu New Member

Ha! At least one kid saw through him!