Cherry House Press... Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    "I slave all day 'n' night over a filthy keyboard, when will you ever be happy?" :D

@big soft moose they do have paperbacks out from what I have seen in my research.
    From the person we have been speaking with on here, they have about 8-9 books
    in both formats. Most are under 100pgs. And they are kinda all over the genres board.

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

it's thos dirty books on my phone. I'm gonna write one.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

they have their own books out - and the covers are ... different/not what i'd expect from a professional cover design service... i'm not seeing any sign of them having client books out via their small press

also using lulu for pod is what my DS used to call 'a bold choice'

deadrats likes this.
  4. Ariana Cherry

Ariana Cherry New Member

The reason those books are "all over the genres" board is because those are my books that I have published - to show potential authors I have published in the past. If you look at our submission page - you will see that we publish poetry, science-fiction, fantasy and horror.... I think those genres go hand in hand nicely. Actually - we have a handful of authors who are interested in publishing with us... I think we are doing okay for just starting out.

5. Ariana Cherry

Ariana Cherry New Member

Everyone will have their own opinion of the cover designs. If you think they are "different' - that is your right to your own opinion. I designed all of my own books, though. I think "Only If" is a great cover design.... And we aren't using Lulu by the way....

Here is a list of books that I have self published. Aside from the Bullying Ben one (which I illustrated), I designed all of the covers.

https://www.amazon.com/Ariana-Cherry/e/B00J974LU0

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. Ariana Cherry

Ariana Cherry New Member

We will take into considering about getting a domain sometime soon. I am quite happy with my website domain - but perhaps we need to reword some of our services and what we do so there is no confusion.

I am an artist and I do great work with graphic design. I've been designing my own covers for quite some time. I will be happy to design another author's book cover with their input on what they would like to do. I may consider the idea of finding an editor to come on staff.

While I know it is difficult to set up a small press - I am ready for the challenge. I've always wanted to help authors publish books. My belief is - If God gave you a dream or an idea - certainly he has a plan and a future in store for it...If he didn't - then why would he give you the dream?

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  7. Ariana Cherry

Ariana Cherry New Member

I appreciate all of your help and advice by the way - I will take it into consideration. I appreciate any help that is offered.

8. Ariana Cherry

Ariana Cherry New Member

I will not be leaving authors high and dry...Whatever extra costs there are - we will absorb the extra fees. We are here to help authors... not to take advantage of them. I have a contract that I will offer to potential authors who are interested in publishing with us... Everything will be explained in that.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Really

cherry.png
    Only if is probably the best , but none of them really say professional cover designer compared to say http://fionajaydemedia.com/ which a couple of us have used. (I did my own too - but there is a big difference between doing your own, and offering it as a professional service)

deadrats likes this.
  10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

As far as I can tell, you don't have a domain. You have a website. Maybe you're unclear on the difference?

It's really, really easy to get a domain. Failing to do so does strongly suggest a lack of seriousness.

deadrats likes this.
  11. big soft moose

In which case you aren't going to make a profit .... there is a reason most presses don't offer 50% royalty. Assuming this is on the up and up I wish you well with the venture, but I'd strongly suggest some independent business advice before you go too much further into it

deadrats likes this.
  12. matwoolf

I got a whole stable of pen-stallions for your press. Watch this space.

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. Cave Troll

That is true, I did not see any other authors except Miss Cherry and one from Natalie Bumgarner.
    Though Miss Cherry kinda dominates on the books pubbed thing. And there is a cliff note to
    her partner having pubbed something in the "Our Team" section on their site, but it is not
    advertised in the "Our Books" section.

As you know I am not an expert on cover design, as you can plainly see with mine, but I suppose
    they have some better software to play with than I, when it comes down to it. Granted I am more
    a mind to much rather read a good story, not just have a frilly thing to sit on the shelf.

@Ariana Cherry firstly I have no prob with the multi-genres thing, you're not the only one to do it.
    Secondly, you seem to have a foundation to build upon (I have run a successful small biz in the past).

14. Ariana Cherry

Ariana Cherry New Member

Okay - I forgot I used Lulu.com - for that one. She was a friend from church and wanted to use Lulu.com.... But I myself - have been using Create Space for quite some time.

15. big soft moose

OT my suggestion for you is to use Canva which is free (and has templates and stuff)

Cave Troll likes this.
  16. big soft moose

Yes - but if you are a serious professional publishing press you shouldn't really be using create space either. Ingram Spark is pretty much where its at for Small press POD services.

(using create space to self pub your own books is fine - but not as a small press with clients etc)

I can see that your heart is in the right place and that this isn't the vanity scam we first suspected - but seriously a wordpress.com site, google mail, and create space does not a publishing house make.

In my opinion you really really need some good advice from a business adviser before you take this forward.... lest you get yourself into hot water or bite off more than you can chew

Iain Aschendale and deadrats like this.
  17. matwoolf

@matwoolf Publishing Marketing Package: $10,000
    (perfect for authors who are already published)
    • Word Press webpage advertising your new book along with your author bio. I'LL GET YOU ON TO WORDPRESS OR I WILL DIE TRYING
    • Book review which can be posted to Good Reads, Amazon and our social media accounts SNIFF, YEAH THIS IS SHIT, AMAZON
    • Listing your book on all of our social media accounts CHECK OUT THE PRICK, FB
    • Scheduling an interview to be on our podcast, Night Moves Radio to promote your book. Your book will be introduced to our listeners of both our podcast and the R.I.F.T. Network. 'HELLO JUPITER!'
    • Written Press Release of your new book that you can send to media outlets HERE, I TYPED YOUR PRESS RELEASE, ASSHOLE

18. big soft moose

Fuckin A bro - do you accept crypto currency ?

Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  19. big soft moose

Yeah, umm ... look I don't want to be nasty but those covers really aren't what you'd expect from a professional designer - take a look at the link i posted , surely you can see the difference. That is the level of skill an author expects from a pro ...

Also on domains you don't have a domain, you have blogsite hosted on a subdomain , and it looks really unprofesional (the hosting not the site itself)

deadrats likes this.
  20. Cave Troll

Throw in some strippers and a bottle of Scotch for the book tour, and I might consider the offer.

deadrats likes this.
  21. big soft moose

It probably does - but in that case it needs to provide the services its offering to a good level - if someone pays for publishing at least they should get pro level editing and cover design in edition to distribution etc. Its not a model that appeals to me but its fair enough ... if you pay/royalty split for publishing and get amateur cover design and amateur editing most people aren't going to be very happy

22. big soft moose

you only get the strippers and alcohol on the premium package

23. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Also, since the micro-press, in this case, only gets paid based on sales, I suspect that it's not financially viable.

Carly Berg likes this.
  24. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

So it's 50% or 60% of the cover price?

25. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Newer authors, be aware that it's not only money you could waste on a publisher that can't adequately publish your books, it's also the manuscript itself.

If you sign a contract giving them exclusive rights to publish your book, then they have exclusive rights to publish your book. If they do a crappy job, too bad. If they keep all the profits and don't send you any royalties ever... pretty much too bad. You could take them to court but that costs thousands and thousands of dollars and a hell of a lot of time and energy. But without clear legal documentation that the rights have returned to you, no reputable publisher will take on the MS and you won't even be able to self-publish on Amazon.

I think it's great to have a dream, but writers have dreams, too, and I don't think it's a good thing for a wanna-be publisher to put other people's dreams in jeopardy in order to pursue her own dream.

I honestly have no idea how new publishers can start up successfully and without risk to writers, but... this is a site for writers, not publishers. So, writers... be very careful.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018