Tags:
  1. Daniel W

Daniel W New Member

Choc, Safeway and SOH

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Daniel W, May 5, 2008.

Apart from writing serious stories, i also enjoy writing silly short stories that are always about 3 Friends. Their names are Choc, Safeway and SOH.

The first time these characters appeared in a story of mine was in grade 5, when we had free time, so i started writing. Their unusual names are the result of me writing down the first things that came to mind. Choc, Safeway and SOH (Sydney operah house, but SOH for short.
    Unfortunately i have been unable to find that story (which i believe, and a few others also believe is the best one of them all) but i have continued to keep these three characters in any short story that i have time to write.

The three friends are always hunting for treasure out at sea. I suppose you could call them pirates, except they don't do any of that piratey stuff. They are ordinary people (except for their names) that are just looking for treasure.
    These stories are usually nonsense all the way through, just to add humor, but eventually make sense right at the end.

Here is a small paragraph to show just how nonsense some parts of these stories are:
    “Hello Greg, what’s for dinner tonight?” Choc said as he entered the room.
    “For you, Choc, a tuna salad, with 2 sausages. For Safeway, just a meal made of Ingredients bought from Safeway. You know how she is; she doesn’t care what she has; it just has to be made from things bought at Safeway. And for SOH, he has 3 tuna salads, 14 sausages, 5 pieces of bread and a tub of butter, 4 muffins, 5 milkshakes, 10 cups of juice, 2 bags of cashew nuts, 2 tubs of yoghurt, some salami, 5 roasted potatoes, 10 cobs of corn, 14 pigs, 3 bottles of barbeque and tomato sauce, 5 cans of Pepsi Max, a tub full of a variety of seafood, and a pea,” said Greg.
    “I’m not surprised. That painting on the wall was always upside down,” replied Choc.

You can probably guess that SOH is slightly overweight, but it also shows how silly it can be. You would expect Choc to be amazed at what SOH's meal consists of, but instead he is concentrating on the upside down painting.

Choc is the generally the sensible one, but can also make some stupid comments, like the one above. Safeway is almost always sensible, and extremely clever and smart. SOH is stupid and... well, you wouldn't call him silly or sensible.

Well now you have a basic idea of what these short stories are like. The only trouble i am having is finding a main title for this series, and an idea on another treasure hunt for the next short story i am required to write in my english class.

So, any ideas would be helpful, and then i'll try to use them to make one of my own.
    Also, so far in my current story, they have been attacked twice by two giant squid, and eaten them for dinner (with leftovers for 2 weeks). I haven't been able to think of what should happen next in the story. Mainly, i just need an idea on what they are hunting for.

Thank you for reading.

(this is my first thread in this forum, so i hope i've put it in the right place)

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, what do you want to do with those stories?... are they meant to be the text for little kids' picture books?... short stories for children's magazines?... or what?... what age range are they targeting?

3. Daniel W

Daniel W New Member

They are probably aimed at anyone with a silly sense of humor. Even adults. Even if you don't have that kind of sense of humor, you still will probably enjoy it because there is still a story in it and i know some people who enjoyed these stories even when they didn't have that kind of sense of humor.