1. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Choose the Form of the Destructor!

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by AntPoems, Jul 1, 2021.

OK, no destruction necessary, but it's always a good time for a Ghostbusters quote.

Anyway, I had an interesting experience this week while revisiting a poem that I got stuck on a few months ago. When I looked back at it with fresh eyes, I realized that I hadn't been making progress because I was working on the wrong thing. I was tweaking line breaks and the arrangement of individual words, but I didn't even have a solid form or overall structure yet. I had my cart before the horse.

Aha! I decided to temporarily remove the line breaks so I could focus on the overall flow of images and ideas without distraction. I treated my poem like prose: instead of stanzas and freely-broken lines, I wrote paragraphs of complete sentences, and everything started snapping into place. Turns out, I didn't need those line breaks at all--my concept worked better as prose microfiction than as a poem. That was the form I needed.

So, first off, woohoo! But now I'm curious. How do the rest of you figure out what form a piece needs to take? I imagine there's a lot of intuition and experience involved, but perhaps some of you have figured out some principles or guidelines. And even if not, I suspect there's some interesting discussion to be had.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I had to walk away from this to ponder first. It seems to be about the goal, rather than form. So, atp, the answer would be more questions:
    Share an image?
    Convey a thought?
    Express a feeling, a vision, an epiphany?
    Like any art, it's all expression.
    Is your vision busy, or sublime?

Write what's in your head for you. It may point, take a form on its own, or ask for a form. Then all you do is write down what you 'see' in a way we can understand without getting lost. Now, if only I could do that.
    I tried writing two paragraphs about what was in my story. I couldn't finish even one.
    Then I took every thought/idea/subject down to three/four-word chunks, each on its own line, and left them like puzzle pieces. Soon I had page upon page, and the pieces were starting to clump on their own. Between each piece was a question, so I wrote piece and question until I needed a timeline. About ten or so cryptic pages later, I was madly trying to keep up with the pieces going together. I had not written a single sentence, yet. That was when it demanded to be a novel.
    Twenty-six chapters and 200+kW later, I'm still writing questions in the margins. Full sentences, now! Yay!
    Now I just need to figure out what a paragraph and chapter break is!
    God forbid it from being an epic poem :eek:

AntPoems and Xoic like this.
  3. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

It is a tricky thing, isn't it? I, too, had to walk away to ponder your response for a bit. And I think that in my specific case the problem was that at first I wasn't clear on what I was trying to do.

That probably has a lot to do with the fact that the piece grew out of some very strong emotions and I just wanted to get them down at first. I was out for a walk when I had a vision of a brief scene and the feelings it would evoke in the narrator, which would echo the feelings I was having at the time. I tend to associate that type of concentrated emotion with poetry, so that's naturally how I tried to express it. It wasn't a conscious choice, though; like I said, I wasn't really clear on what I was doing at the time. It took some time away from the piece to really settle my mind on what I wanted to express, and by then a more basic structure just seemed to suit it.

Of course, it could also be that I'm just not a good enough poet yet to really bring out the vision that I had during that walk. I do still struggle with lineating free verse in general. Maybe if I revisit the piece again in another year, it will all come to me. I don't know, but I muddle on.

Some Guy likes this.
  4. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

For me, mood is the ultimate decision maker when it comes to poetry or prose, lyrical rhyme or abstract free form. I think the lesson here though is to be open to experimenting. By reformatting your piece, you found a better structure than what you had in mind in the first place. Sure, it would be nice to be able to set out with a scheme in mind and fit whatever you have on your brain into the meter without a hitch, but I say screw it. If it fits a rigid meter, great; if it flows better in free form, go for it, and if it ends up making better prose, embrace some punctuation and forget about making it a poem at all.

Some Guy likes this.
  5. Shayne

Shayne The Virus Queen

I came here for the Ghostbusters reference.:cool:

Mullanphy, Some Guy and Bakkerbaard like this.