1. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Choose Your Own Adventure AKA Gamebooks for Adults

Discussion in 'Book Discussion' started by Woof, Nov 17, 2015.

I get some interesting search results trawling the internet for CYOA books for adults... not what I am looking for! I have a man-child in residence who would like a CYOA adventure book for Christmas -- and who can blame him, they were awesome -- but written for adults. Anyone know of any good ones? The downside is that it must be a real, paper & ink book. The upside is that he likes SciFi & Fantasy. There must be some out there, surely? Anyone? :D

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Woof likes this.
  3. Woof

Woof Senior Member

Ha... well I guess his reading age is different these days, even if his interests aren't!

I've not seen the Jackson/Livingstone ones, I'll have a look. These are the ones I know from being a kid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

Cheers for the links too :agreed:

OurJud likes this.
  4. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributor Contributor

Gotta recommend Ryan North's To Be or Not to Be, which is a CYOA version of "Hamlet". Not really in either of the genres you specified, but hilarious and well-written.

Woof likes this.
  5. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

Although it's not really a book you can give as a gift, you might want to look up Twine. It's an engine that allows people to create their own choose-your-own-adventure style stories in HTML, with little to no knowledge of coding. There's a thriving community around it, and many of the stories they write are available for free on the internet.

As I day, it won't make a gift, but it might be of interest to your friend.

Woof likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I can't imagine why, but the links to the sample games on the twinery.org website are being blocked as malware by my Avire AV software. Just a warning.