1. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Close to you

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhispWillow, Sep 16, 2007.

Ok so some people may think this is really girly and quite frankly, I don't care.

There's something about it, the lyrics, the melody, not to mention the vocals, that makes it such a good song. Sang by the Carpenters, who I think really were a great band, produced this classic, which is still remembered and it's not hard to see why

Anyone else feel this way about this song?

2. Raven

Raven Banned

It's not girly.

I like the song and think it was well sung. I also like Sunshine On My Shoulders By John Denver and The Winner Takes It All by Abba.

Every era has its selection of classic greats. But sometimes the older ones do seem to be the better.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

It isn't too soppy I guess. I know the song well and I don't mind it to be honest. Not one of my favoured bands and songs but I don't mind them at all.

4. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

'Soppy' and 'girly' is a weird classification, which I don't really feel from the Carpenters.

I think the most 'soppiest' songs I've ever heard are from boy bands like the backstreet boys and nsync, lewl, Kelly Clarkson produces some commercial soppy, near whingy wonders, 'Because of You' being one, God that made me palmface at its woe-is-me qualities.

I suppose you have various degrees of soppy-ness.

My favourite 'genre' of soppy is indie/alternative, like Damien Rice, the Blowers Daughter probably being my most favourite, 'soppy love song.'

5. Sayso

Sayso New Member

Can't say I really remember the song either.
    I do like the way that different songs can mean so much to different people though. I also think that sometimes, songs can deliver messages.

Coldplays 'What If' is bugging and pushing me at the minute.