1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Computer Glasses

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jhunter, Apr 26, 2013.

Has anyone tried computer glasses? I am thinking about getting a pair, to wear over my normal glasses. I get constant eye troubles from writing all the time--but I would like to know if they are worth it, because if they are, I just might get a prescription pair, instead of wearing them over my normal glasses.

2. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

I wear glasses myself. You shouldn't get them because regular glasses can have a special material put in them that protects the eyes from computer screen glare. I think it's called Antiglare. I have them in my glasses.

3. Jhunter

Does it work well? How much was it?

I just pulled the trigger on these: http://www.debspecs.com/Computer-Clip-n-Flip-Lenses-P3822C172.aspx

If they end up helping, I will consider spending more money on a prescription pair, or the material you mentioned.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Can you get tinted sheets to place over the screen - or am I imagining this? Sure I've heard of this.

5. Jhunter

I have not heard of this, but I don't see why not.

6. Quille

Quille Member

Have you tried changing the background color of Word or whatever you use? Someone once told me that you see more typos on yellow paper than white. I try not to print all the time, so changed my Word background to yellow. Not sure if it's working or not. I'm seeing lots of mistakes on screen and even more when I print on white.

A different color background might help with your eye strain.

My glasses do have the anti-glare coating. I didn't know there were special glasses you can get.

7. Jhunter

Yeah, I use a gray background, it does help. But after hours I still get eye strain.

8. Quille

Quille Member

I know that time zips by when one's engrossed, but do you take a few breaks during the day? I tend to go outside and come back knowing what I need to say next.

9. Jhunter

I do, but even 3-4 hours of staring at Microsoft Word takes its toll--especially when I start my day by reading a lot on the computer at the various websites I frequent. My eyes are already a little buggered by the time I start writing.

10. Quille

Quille Member

Yeah - there's so much to read and so little time to read it.

11. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm confused about what they're for?

That is, I was nearsighted only, but am now old enough to wear what I think of as bifocals and are now called progressives, because I need both near and far correction. Progressives, as I understand it, are optimized for certain distances, so a pair of glasses that works just fine for reading and just fine for driving may work lousy for the computer. So a few years ago I got a big owl-like pair of glasses that were optimized for (1) computer and (2) the television across the living room, and the giant lenses meant that there was a nice big chunk of lens for both purposes. I wore them except for times that I drove or objected to looking like an owl.

Now I just use reading-only glasses for the computer, wear non-owl-like progressives when I leave the house, and accept that the TV's going to be a little fuzzy.

My confusion is based on my assumption that you're too young to need progressives. Then it occurs to me that there is such thing as farsighted people. Then I realize that I really have no clue what I'm talking about.

12. Jhunter

What I am getting is not specifically for anything, in terms of eyesight correction, that is. Think of them as sunglasses for the computer.

Though, you can get prescription versions if you desire. Just like you can get prescription sunglasses.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see why they'd be needed, since you can adjust the brightness and contrast on your screen...

and if it's glare from ambient light that's the problem, all you need do is not have any undraped window or room lighting source behind you... and/or if you're facing a window, close the drapes/blinds/curtains whenever the sun is visible...

that's what i do... and since i'm going on 3/4 of a century old, can't see without one of my 3 different pairs of glasses [single lens for computer, another for reading, 3rd bifocaled for walking around], and am at the computer almost constantly, from 6-7 am till 7-8pm every single day, if it works for me, it can work for anyone! :cool:

14. Jhunter

They are used for much more than just brightness and glare. Here is the product description:

-UV Protection
    -Aspheric distortion free lens
    -Anti Reflective coating
    -Filter out all of the UV380, as well as significantly reduces the amount of high energy visible (HEV) light (the violet and blue) thereby reducing the risks of macular degeneration (AMD) to the retina.
    -Reduce the violet and blue light while preserving true color perception. Colors are not only preserved, they appear enhanced.
    -Reduces eyestrain and relaxes your eyes - The most obvious experience is the eye comfort one senses while wearing them.

Here's an article on it, from a respected blog, if you would like to know more: http://lifehacker.com/5980509/do-computer-glasses-really-work

15. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I am intrigued. I spend a tremendous amount of time on my computer between writing, art, and social randomness. I don't wear glasses, have excellent eyesight, and rarely have issues with eyestrain but I have heard blue eyes are more susceptible to macular degeneration so maybe this is something I ought to look into.

16. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

A tinted sheet is a cheaper option, though may not protect that well. It's still better for the eyes, and I use it all the time at work, and am pretty happy with it.

17. Jhunter

I just got them in the mail this morning, and after a few hours of using them, I can say for certain it makes a huge difference for me. No eyestrain at all--in fact the only strain I get is from taking them off and needing to adjust for a few seconds back to reality. But it's not painful, just disorienting, and actually kind of cool in a weird way, like seeing the world in a new light, literally.

These were well worth the $29.99 in my opinion.

18. Quille

Quille Member

That's great :) Glad they worked for you.