1. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

computer problems - please help

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Trilby, Jul 4, 2011.

My two year old laptop froze out - needs a new hard drive - while I decide whether to get it fixed or go in for a new one, my son has given me his spare laptop.

My lp had ms word 2003 - this one has ms word 2007, and here is my problem;

I can't find 'file > open, close, save, save as etc.' button, therefore in spite of the choice of about seven tool bars I can not figure out how to save to the memory stick.

Even to save a document I am working on - I have to go to the top right-hand corner 'the white cross in the red sq. then I am given the option, do you want to save this doc.'
    Above the tool bar, left-hand corner there is a save control sq. but that does not give me the option of close or save to the memory stick.

Can anyone out there steer me in the right direction to find what I need.

Thank you in advance - trilby:mad:

2. MRD

MRD New Member

Try using Ctrl+O to open, and Ctrl+S to save. That should help you out a little, until someone better with computers than I can solve your problem.

Also, you may want to search for a blue floppy-disk icon, that'll be the save one.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trilby

Thank you MRD, will do.

4. Venusian31

Venusian31 New Member

I have word 2007. In the upper left corner is a big circle with what looks like a symbol made of squares in it. It's actually a button. Click on that and your file -> Open, Save, Save as, etc. should be there. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I was just going to suggest what MRD did. Also, if I remember rightly (I only use MS Word 2007 occasionally) you click the round button on the top left hand side for file, open, save etc.

1 person likes this.
  6. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    In the very top left of the Office window should be a circle with a logo made up of four different coloured and differently sized squares. It's a button, and if you hover the mouse over it you will find that it's called the "Office Button". That's the one you want. Click on it and it will give you all the things that used to be under the "File" menu.

1 person likes this.
  7. Trilby

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try next time I'm writing.

8. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

While it's been a bit since I used '07 so I suspect the above have given as good or better counsel than I could, I'd like to add only that, if your current system is two years old, you might want to seriously consider going with a newer model with at least 2 - 4 Ghz (gigaherz) bus speed and maybe GB (gigabyte) to a TB (terabyte) memory.

With the speed at which advances are being made in computer sciences, if you're going to fork out money for a new hard drive, you may as well consider throwing in a few more bucks for what is currently optimum. It'll be old school by next year anyway but it'll be leaps and bounds ahead of what you've got now. AND you'll have '07 onboard with which you will already be familiar!

9. digitig

Why? I use an eight-year-old PC running XP most of the time, because it does everything I want. My wife has a one-year-old Windows 7 system and it doesn't do anything that my old PC doesn't do -- nothing I want it to do anyway, and I'm a pretty intensive user. A decent specification new computer is going to cost a lot more than a new disk drive, so although I can't speak for the original questioner I would want more concrete benefits that it being "leaps and bounds ahead of" what I've got -- what would it actually do for me?

10. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Actually not, unless, of course, you are going to switch out the hard drive yourself. Most people do not have that knowledge or are afraid to tackle it themselves. Also, unless the OP is just looking for a word processor, the upgrade will provide her with a better, more up-to-date system for anything else she wants to do. Generally speaking, with the wide array of good quality laptops available a new laptop is not going to cost much more than getting that old hard drive replaced. Also, an upgraded bus speed would not only accelerate the processing but would reduce the chances of a system crash based on overloading on a download/upload.

Of course, I have a somewhat skewed take on the matter since I have a builder at home. My son is a computer whiz who, when my system has problems, he just fixes them. So I don't really have to worry about it. I just sort of take that for granted, I guess.

11. digitig

From the number of requests I get, I assumed that everybody at least knew somebody who would do it for them :) It's one of the easiest jobs to do inside the computer.
    I'm still trying to find out in what ways it will be better. I do video editing on my ancient computer, which is more demanding than most things that people do. The only real advantage I can see for a new computer would be running the latest games, but it would have to be a high-spec (expensive) machine to get that advantage.

12. Trilby

Thanks Digitig and thewordsmith

It will cost £72 to get laptop repaired against £350+ to buy a new one.

Being that I have some unsaved writing on my lp I'm thinking of seeing if they can retrieve it, if so then I may get it repaired.