Concern over depiction

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by King Arthur, Mar 22, 2016.

1. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

I'm only going to respond to this because I did use the the term "rape-obsessed" but it was not referring to you personally - just in case you thought it.

I meant it gave the impression that the forum was rape-obsessed.

No one needs to agree, but that was what I thought.

In my opinion it was a shitty title, and I am sorry if that offends you, it is what I felt. Maybe it is censorship, but I feel some things can be worded a little more sensitively. I felt it drew people to keep arguing over the same thing, new people saying something, then existing people feeling they need to chip in again. Which honestly, is up to them if they want to spend their time doing so, but only I had to come online and read "Everyone is a Rapist" for the 1000th time!

...and thinking to myself, forfuckssakes it's still going, when will this topic die, what more is there to say....????????

I kinda spat the dummy... :bigoops:

I've nothing against you at all personally.

I will say again, I am an overly sensitive person. It doesn't need to make sense but it upset me so much, I actually joined another forum because I was that sick of it. I admit, I am very happy there but I still love this place for different reasons. But over there, I have been able to talk about rape with people in a way that doesn't feel judgmental. I have been able to explore ideas around it in writing. That's just the honest truth. I also think it has helped me grow and feel confident on dealing with certain topics in my own writing.

So regardless of the censorship arguments that has since followed on from this thread, I don't think I will ever feel comfortable discussing the topic of Rape on this forum. For me, the results of this thread is an example of why it is a bad idea.

Again, my opinion based on my own experience.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2016
  2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

This is my rule of thumb: if you don't think you can handle a topic such as rape with the care and sensitivity it deserves, don't even try to do it.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

That to me makes me imagine cotton gloves and a delicate touch. You don't necessarily need to be sensitive. It's ugly, so the description can be ugly. It can't (or shouldn't) be exploitative or arousing, but it can certainly be graphic and grim if required and suits the rest of the story's mood. I'm sure you meant that, but care and sensitivity sounds very passive.

jannert likes this.
  4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm talking more like research and writing skills.

jannert likes this.
  5. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Oh, I'm in complete agreement. But the vibe of what I read in passing on this thread was not that. I would say some love to bash others with their 'care' and 'sensitivity'. I find topics such as this is just a magnet for the same types, so there is nothing interesting to be noted.

I have found that I get to hear a very different tone from thoughtful and intelligent people on the topic of rape when discussed privately. I doubt these people would ever care to express such opinions on a forum like this. Besides, there is a wealth of information and sources and more tolerant sites available to us. This is not the place unless one is looking for an argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2016