1. AuthoressM

AuthoressM New Member

Connotation vs. Denotation

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by AuthoressM, Dec 20, 2008.

This is the third time I'm posting this - it keeps disappearing. So if you have responded to it, or if you are reading this for the first time, please don't respond here - please private message me your helpful advice. I would really appreciate it!

There is a word/phrase that I used in a scene that, after someone read it, they expressed that they didn't think it fit the scene. I feel otherwise, since I believe the connotation of the word/phrase makes it fit into the scene.

'Cowered' or 'cowered over' is the word/phrase in question here. In the scene where I use it, the character is bent over at the waist, so much so that she is practically making a right angle with her body. She's clearly extremely upset and has her arms held tightly to her chest, almost like she's shrinking back into herself. She's holding herself this way because she doesn't want to be exposed, doesn't want anyone to see her upsetness. So, based on what I've described, do you think that 'cowered' or 'cowered over' fits here? Or does it have too much of a negative connotation?

Any help is much appreciated. (Remember, please don't respond here - please private message me since this thread is likely to disappear as it has two other times.)

Thanks!

EDIT: For some reason, this post did not disappear like it did the two other times. So, it's really up to you if you want to reply here or private message me. Thanks!

2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Hi AM--check your private messages for answer.