1. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

Considering a change

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sylvester, Nov 15, 2008.

I would like your opinions on a plot change I'm considering

In my current concept, my heroes are persuing kidnappers unaware they are the ones being kidnapped.

What if they were instead setting up their own kidnapping to bait a trap for the kidnappers?

The kids will basically choreograph their own kidnapping and magically plant it into the dreams of the mysterious ringleader.

The concept will have them saving the world some how and return to Earth with a higher ransom value from the world they saved. Expecting a hero's welcome, they are instead subdued with ether, loaded into a moving van, injected with a powerful sedative and taken away to be held for said "ransom."

Renee will cast a spell to make them temporarily immune to the ether. Thus still conscious, Beverly can use her hypnotic voice to stop the injections. Pretending to be unconscious, they will be taken to the kidnappers lair. Even if they put on the light reflecting jumpsuits, it'll take over an hour before their powers are neutralized. Plenty of time to bust the ringlead and save the kidnapped heiress. What could possibly go wrong?

Something does and they end up being caught in their own trap.

Should I stick with the original concept or use the change?

2. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Whichever one sounds best, most interesting, and most promising to you. *shrug*

Ask yourself which story you'd prefer to spend a lot of time writing?

3. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Choose whatever one you like. When others read it, they're just going to like it or hate it so it's all about whether you like it or not.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Choose whihever storyline inspires you nore. You'll be spending a lot of time whipping it into shape.

5. Ti Odio E Ti Amo

Ti Odio E Ti Amo New Member

I say that you should think into the future of where your story is leading and how you plan to end it. You'll most likely have different endings for different paths. You should pick the idea that best displays what you want the reader to feel, experience, understand, etc. when they turn the last page.