Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Copyright question

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by SapereAude, Oct 17, 2022.

My friend, the assistant pastor at the church my late wife and I attended, is getting ready to publish his first book. He is Latino and not really fluent in English, so he wrote the book in Spanish. I volunteered to translate it into English and to format it for upload to Amazon KDP. Somewhere along the way I also got volunteered to do the cover -- which will actually be four covers: English and Spanish print covers, and English and Spanish e-book covers.

It's just about ready to go live -- except that I'm waiting for the padre to decide whether to go with a 5" x 8" trim size for the printed books, or to go with a smaller, mass market trim size (4-1/8" X 6-3/4"). And now the padre has thrown me another curve ball: he's concerned that the subject matter might not be well-received by the church, so he wants to publish the book under a pen name.

I have checked with Amazon and it's possible to do that through KDP. The question is: who should be listed as the copyright holder on the copyright page? Does that have to be his real name, or does the copyright get listed under his pen name?

Thank you.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

He can put the pen name there. There would be an impact on copyright term but the term is quite long in the U.S. anyway.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

This sort of thing falls under the specific legal question that is out with the WF rules

Tell your friend to consult a lawyer

:closed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.