Could racial-sex issues still exist in a sci-fi setting?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Link the Writer, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

May I ask what is 'reverse' racism?

Is that when you hate white people but you yourself are infact white?:confused:

2. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

It's when someone who is usually the subject of racism is racist against someone who usually isn't the subject of racism. It's sometimes also used to describe affirmative action.

I think the term is misleading, since it implies it's somehow different when a non-white person is racist against a white.

Outside of the Western world, non-white people are just as racist as white, and everyone can be the target. It becomes impossible to tell which racism is "ordinary" and which is "reverse".

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

First, the definition of racism is acknowledging a person's race as though it's relevant to something. It's relevant to nothing.

The British (and that part of the west) colonised America, Canada (in part), and Australia. It's disgusting. They killed off entire cultures. They did it to southern America as well as the Chinese and Indians. They've done it all over the world.

The Han Chinese turned Mongolia into a desert in the 50's and 60's when they killed off the native wolf population, thousands of deer, and they let the smaller animals go out of control (when they would have been taken care of by wolves). The Mongolian people had life sorted. The Han Chinese ruined it.
    NOTE: I don't hate all Han Chinese, though. Just the ones responsible for the Mongolia incident, and you have to remember that their culture was influenced heavily by the British in an earlier time.

In Australia (I can't say much for America and Canada), a large portion of young aboriginals don't do much for society because they spend so much time a) blaming white people for their problems and b) making problems for themselves by sniffing petrol, paint, glue, getting high in general, causing crimes, et cetera. There are those who are smart enough to make their lives easier, but they're not the ones the majority of white Australians take notice of.

All of that is not even to mention what white people have done in Africa and other places of the world. I mean, white people are responsible for Christianity (which has killed enough people in its time) and for Hitler and Stalin and all that.

The creator of the atom bomb was both white and a Jew. The Catholic church, which is primarily white (in the Vatican), stops funding any missionary projects in Africa and other third world countries with the AIDS epidemic if they preach any contraception method other than abstinence, which is ridiculous. Africans should have access to condoms as the west does. Hell, it's believed that the only reason that AIDS affects them so bad is that the western cultures built up a huge resistance to it thanks to the bubonic plague; the survivors had the "immunity" to deal with AIDS when it came around. Africans never got the plague, so they didn't get the immunity.

Whereas we have Islam to thank for modern science and mathematics, as well as all of the recovered information that came back to the west during the Renaissance.

Aboriginal culture is at least 30,000 years old and counting, and yet they never dug a single mine or destroyed the land.

I personally believe that the majority of white culture is worth hating. And I am white. We've destroyed a lot of cultures and expect them to submit to ours. It's disgusting.

Having said all of that, mostly I just hate humanity. I can stand individuals, but as a whole, we're too full of self-importance.

SO! To the OP: racism will still exist in the future in some form or another. Then again, to quote Trainspotting: "1000 years from now, there won't even be any men or women; just wankers."

4. NateSean

NateSean Senior Member

Were you...trying to disprove my point somehow? Cause my point was that the way said person used racism in relation to homosapiens wiping out neandrathals was broadening the definition to include natural selection. I wasn't asking what the definition of it was, so you didn't really add or take anything from my post.

5. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

There are many sci-fi novels that deals with racism or sex issue, Starship Troopers is one of them (of course, it's a racist book), and Left Hand of darkness is a sort of social experiment depincting a race with just one gender.

6. Kio

Kio New Member

People always fight among each other. Every species does. Whenever there is something to fight about or something that is different and unfamiliar, expect resentment and contempt. With these bitter feelings, expect a fight.

What I'm trying to say is that there will always be racism and sexism, no matter where we stand as a human race. We can be fighting against aliens as a human race yet still find reasons to hate and demean each other. Racism and sexism will never die, not as long as there are organizations like the Ku Klux Klan or the Obedient Women's Club that are set on creating a divide and an imbalance. It's like a disease without a cure.

7. SugarRos

SugarRos New Member

The great thing about Science Fiction is that it's fiction. Which means it's made up, which means that YOU make it up. There have been science fiction stories about a world where racism/sexism does not exist, and there have been science fiction stories about worlds where they still do.

Realistically, the way humans are evolving, I've always thought that one day everyone will be so 'mixed' that we'll all kind of even out to the same skin tone. I always thought it would be a really cool idea to write a story based on a society or a world where almost all people have cross-bred race-wise except for one, like China or India (obviously, America would not work in this instance, as we're already all cross-bred.), and THAT'S where the racism still exists. Everyone fears this one race because they have refused, over all this time, to breed with other races.

On the other side of the spectrum, what would it be like if a society or world put laws into place stating that all races would have to adhere to a strict 'race only' breeding rule. How would that change society or a world as a whole?

Your story, your rules. There are endless ideas for ways that sexism/racism is still alive and well in the future.

8. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

It seemed to work for Star Wars... (don't know if anyone has mentioned that or not)

9. slippingbeauty

slippingbeauty New Member

As humans we will always only look after the ones who resemble ourselves, thats why white people have treated black people like animals and why men in the old days thought women had a small brain and were only fit for making babies, that's why there are wars because of different religions and it is why we treat animals who have feelings and personalities just like us the way we do. But then; we can relate to pets because we have gotten used to them over a long period of time and accepted them as a part of the pack. In the same way we have also gotten used to seeing people of a different gender or a different skin tone more like ourselves. But wars over religions will probably always be. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.